Who's buying grain online?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurlingBrew

Reaction score
Found some older threads on the best online stores for buying in bulk. I am looking to buy my base malts and perhaps some specialty. Who do you order from? Who currently has the best prices?

Thanks in advance! :rockin: :mug:

Buying bulk is great but the shipping kills the bargain. I have bought almost 50 lbs on more beer and because it was over the 59 dollar total it all shipped free. But most places calculate by the pound. I think northern brewer flat rate even stops at a point.

I buy all my specialty malts online and my base malts, hops and yeast at my lhbs. Lhbs doesn't have a great selection of malts yet otherwise I would buy everything there. It would cost quite a bit to ship a 55lb sack of two row....

The closest lhbs to me is almost 2 hours away. The amount of time and gas would surpass any shipping expense. I'll check out more beer and nb. Any other online sources?

I like More Beer and Austin Homebrew Supply because they both allow purchasing grain in increments (I.e., I can buy 3 oz of melanoidin instead of having to buy a whole pound). Austin has flat rate shipping and morebeer has a free shipping option for orders over $59. Both ship fairly quickly. I also recently used and was pleased with Farmhouse Brew Supply, they have a great selection, decent graduated shipping cost, and process order and ship out very quickly.

Morebeer is interesting. I can buy a 50 lb sack of 2 row for $37 and pay $37 in shipping or I can buy 5 10lb bags and throw in something small to get to the $59 shipping level and get it shipped free.

Rice is better than sugar for light beers. It still has some body but doesn't really contribute any malt flavor. It doesn't thin the beer like sugar does.

Morebeer is interesting. I can buy a 50 lb sack of 2 row for $37 and pay $37 in shipping or I can buy 5 10lb bags and throw in something small to get to the $59 shipping level and get it shipped free.

That's good to know. Thanks for that tip!

If you live close to their distribution centers (PA and CA) and make sure everything is coming from the center closest to you, the shipping on 50lb sacks can be very reasonable. For me, living in VA, i get a 50lb sack and it costs 12 dollars to ship, and it arrives literally the next day. Ended up being a better deal than the homebrew shop, and i'm pretty sure it was better than 5 10lb bags as well.

Back