Who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I haven't been able to brew the last two weekends due to moving. But.....I am brewing twice this Saturday for my friends wedding coming up. So Ill be doing my Amarillo Ale again, and something else not too heavy for all the BMC drinkers that will be there.

Now with that said, old reliable may have to work. For those who haven't dont the Fat Tire Clone that Dude posted....mmmm good stuff. I may just go with that one again. It always gets great reviews.

the_bird said:
Walker-san's the MASTER of the IPA (IMHO).
Glad you like the recipe. That's my favorite at the moment.

the_bird said:
So, curious... what's been lacking in Holy Grails 1-12? Looks like a very good recipe, curious how it has progressed through the permutations... Dude seemed to think it was pretty close to perfect, he recommended I use it as the base of what became my Madness Stout...

I don't know what's been missing. "IT" has been missing. When I get it right, I'll know.

I went through a run of batches where I tried too hard to make it stand out... after making a terrible caramel porter experiment last fall, I backed off to a simple recipe and will tweak from there.

I think #12 would have been great if I had not switched my grains. 0.75 lbs of black patent makes for a harsh taste, IMHO. This new batch with 0.25 lbs should be what I wanted last time.

-walker

I've definately gone back to the route of simpler beers; no more mocha stouts in my immediate future. The recipe looks really good, very clean, very simple. Whether it's the Holy Grail or just a damn good porter seems like it'll be an issue of execution.

Walker-san said:
Glad you like the recipe. That's my favorite at the moment.

I don't know what's been missing. "IT" has been missing. When I get it right, I'll know.

I went through a run of batches where I tried too hard to make it stand out... after making a terrible caramel porter experiment last fall, I backed off to a simple recipe and will tweak from there.

I think #12 would have been great if I had not switched my grains. 0.75 lbs of black patent makes for a harsh taste, IMHO. This new batch with 0.25 lbs should be what I wanted last time.

-walker

walker, have you thought about using special roast instead of the black patent? I used a pound in my PRA and it's got a great roasty flavor that might do well in a porter. you might have some issues with color without the BP, but with a porter I'd imagine taste is the primary factor.

Ooops! my bad! It was late and I got it backwards. I am thinking of doing your IPA next. I had afew too many after brewing! LOl! Sorry about that! Won't happen again!

BootYtRappeR said:
walker, have you thought about using special roast instead of the black patent? I used a pound in my PRA and it's got a great roasty flavor that might do well in a porter. you might have some issues with color without the BP, but with a porter I'd imagine taste is the primary factor.

I actually don't want much of a roasted flavor... I prefer that in my stouts, but I like a mildy sweet chocolate flavor in my porters. The patent is in there just to give it a dark red hue, and I hope to not get too much flavor from it.

If I detect it in this batch, I'll drop it down to 2 oz for Holy Grail #14.

-walker

Walker-san said:
I actually don't want much of a roasted flavor... I prefer that in my stouts, but I like a mildy sweet chocolate flavor in my porters. The patent is in there just to give it a dark red hue, and I hope to not get too much flavor from it.

If I detect it in this batch, I'll drop it down to 2 oz for Holy Grail #14.

-walker

Carafa won't add any harshness, but it will give you the color.

Dude said:
Carafa won't add any harshness, but it will give you the color.

I thought Carafa was a de-bittered chocolate malt? You get the chocolate taste, but no bitterness. :confused:

the_bird said:

I've used de-bittered chocolate malt before....

these damn raosted grains are confusing. I was cleaning out my freezer once and pulled out 4 bags of roasted malt, using the names my LHBS uses, and I had to do internet searching to figure out what was what.

-walker

Walker-san said:
http://www.bodensatz.com/staticpages/index.php?page=Grains

This is where I get the info that Carafa is a de-husked (de-bittered) chocolate malt.

-walker

I have heard that not all carafa is dehusked. There are 3 types of carafa I, II and III :) But I think that the dehusked ones are usually reffered to as SPECIAL or something like that. I think that some brewshops may have the I - III in both husked and dehusked. So it pays to check first.

Carafa is de-husked, because it is what sinamar is made of. The husks are astringent and contibute to the harsh bitterness.

You can make your own Sinamar by soaking carafa malt in water overnight.

Dude said:
Carafa is de-husked, because it is what sinamar is made of. The husks are astringent and contibute to the harsh bitterness.

You can make your own Sinamar by soaking carafa malt in water overnight.

Dude, I'm not sure if your saying that the above is why its de-husked or that all carafa is de-husked. Many people use de-husked carafa, but not all carafa is de-husked. You can also get it with the husk. Like I said they usually call the de-husked special, but not always. Here is an example.... Midwest supplies carries both varieties.

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6732

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=6747

Brewing cream ale tonight. Forces are trying to conspire against it, but I'm brewing tonight even if it means pulling an all nighter. I'm not doing squat this week at work anyway.

It was an all-nighter. Started boiling and sanitizing at 9:30pm. Finished boiling at 1am. Stupid electric stove take 30 minutes to just bring 3 gallons of water to a boil.

I tried the frozen/almost frozen spring water bottle trick I read in another thread. It sort of worked. I dropped the temperature from 195F to 140F in 10 minutes. But by that time, I had four gallons of wort in a 5 gallon brew pot. So I moved it to the freezer to cool. It didn’t work as fast as I hoped, but it was at pitching temperature by 5am. Thankfully, I managed to sneak a couple hours of sleep in.

I was amazed by the 1/8 inch of trub that settled out of the wort during the 3.5 hours it was in the freezer.

I’m not really that tired this morning. My wife said, “You were looking forward to it so much that it was probably really relaxing for you. Freak!”

I was hoping to rack to the secondary over the weekend, but its not finished in the primary yet. Looks like it won’t be ready to rack until at least Saturday.

I suppose that’s just as well. I’ve been sick as a dog all weekend. Last thing I need is to sneeze into the wort while racking.

I'm hoping to get my Honey Raspberry Wheat experiment started this Sunday... hopefully it'll turn out good; it's going to be drank at the Christmas party my friends always have.

I brewed 2 this weekend. One was a AHS Warrior pale ale and the second was a AHS Goose Island Honker ale, first time I did back to back batches. It took all day but worth it I hope.

Racking the Cream Ale to the secondary tonight with the peaches.

After having peeled and pitted 7lbs of peaches, I’m starting to seriously consider using Oregon Fruit purees in future batches.

Racking my IPA, and doing my first AG!!!! For the first, I am doing the AG conversion of the extract/minimahs IPA recipe that I am bottling. Hoping to learn a lot and still get drinkable beer!

edit- actually, heading to the LHBS right now!

Hoping to get the Rocktoberfest Ale brewed on Monday. Weather looks good all weekend, so hopefully I can get enough of my outdoor projects finished up so I won't feel guilty spending time brewing. Need to find time to get to the HBS, though.

I've got a wedding to go to this weekend. I'm bummed because I feel the need to brew.

I've brewed 8 batches in 6 months, so I'm keeping up a good pace, but now I'm starting to run low on bottles and minikegs. I need to do two things...

1) make empty bottles
2) brew more beer

I just finished my second brew session helping/learning from a seasoned AG brewer. We did a 17 gallon batch of his favorite pilsner recipe. I can't wait until these couple of batches have finished lagering!

Yep, doing my second AG this Saturday. It will be quite similar to my first, but a few changes done for the sake of experimentation.

I think I'll call it Thanksgiving Pilsner.

making stout this weekend as the browns are crushed by the panthers. you must have a firm upper lip to root for the browns... :cross:

it's also teach a friend to brew day in the garage!

Just started my first AG- Missed mash temp by 2*F low, so I added a little water to bring it up. Now mashing, and heating up sparge.

I'm set for my first AG Weizen in the morning. Yeast is looking good. 9 gallons of water is filtered and ready, and this Apfelwein is pretty darn tasty!

I made my first brandywine today and kegged my caramel cream. My grand cru is getting a bit low - I really need to make something similar REALLY quick

rdwj said:
My grand cru is getting a bit low - I really need to make something similar REALLY quick

I hate it when a faucet goes unused. I've got two out of 3 going right now, but one is carbonating. It's going to take a while to fill the pipeline where I have cornies chilled, conditioned, carbed & ready when one blows, but that's my goal.

Fill the piple line. Brew every other weekend.

EdWort said:
I hate it when a faucet goes unused. I've got two out of 3 going right now, but one is carbonating. It's going to take a while to fill the pipeline where I have cornies chilled, conditioned, carbed & ready when one blows, but that's my goal.

Fill the piple line. Brew every other weekend.

I've just got two and I'm having trouble keeping them up. I'm usually at the very end of one when a second is ready to go. I'm seriously considering 10 gallon batches even before I'm ready for AG

Last weekend my gal and i bottled 2 5gal batches and brewed(extract)2 5gal batches.And also put together my mash tun(cooler conversion)This weekend we're planning to do our first AG.Also it will be our first full volume boil.I just need to form up my copper tubing for the immersion chiller.I'm so excited about it !We're already talking about sacks of grain and 10-15 gal batches.Gotta keep the pipeline goin',that's for sure.We figure that we will probably drink close to 5 gal a week(2 of us) since homebrew is just so damned good!!!!!:ban:

Back