Who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walker

I use secondaries. :p
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am... just pitched my 1028 into a starter, and I'm all set to (attempt to) brew another batch of Holy Grail Porter. This is the 13th try....

I'll be cooking it up on Sunday.

-walker

Damn....long stretch.

I hope you find the grail this time.

I was going to brew today, but our house hunting needed attention. I'll brew my harvest ale next Friday. I'm itching to brew again.

Not brewing, but did a little ordering on line while buzzed. SWMBO hates when I do that - lol!

Anyway, I picked up barleywine ingredients, another secondary and an oxygen kit

Gotta LOVE when the delivery guy shows up with some new toys!

Dude said:
Damn....long stretch.
Yup. Brewed the 4th so that I could have things bottled up before moving at the end of July (I failed and bottled after I moved, BTW). I tried to get settled into the new house, then had some health problems, and finally got the green light from the doctor to lift things over 30 lbs last week.

The first thing I thought was, "Time to get the kettle out."

Dude said:
I hope you find the grail this time.

I have very low expectations. :eek:

I'm gunna try Dude's Honey Pale ale.... if the rain holds off this weekend. But that doesn't look good. :mad:

I'm taking a couple of days off work Monday and Tuesday, so I've got a four day weekend. Sometime over the next four days I'm brewing a Kölsch.

I asked for a recipe to help use up some extra LME I had, and Brewsmith whipped one up. Looking forward to it.

Truble said:
Then they won't be hard to beat! Good to see you are back in the saddle!

Yeah, I thought I'd set myself up for success this time.

Although, I'm a little concerned about my yeast now. The pack swelled yesterday just fine, but my starter looks dormant. I'm going to have to warm it up or something.

Not brewing, just racking a basic pale ale kit brew to the secondary. My stocks are getting low, so another batch is definitely in order very soon though.

No brewing today--- today is transfer day.

Aussie light age to the keg.

Orange Lawnmower Ale and a Winter Festival Spiced Ale going to secondary.

And I discoverd that I'm out of CO2 and my supplier changed his fricken hours so I'll have to take time off to get gas. Which aslo means I can't drink any of the Honey Ale I've got on tap.

Tomorrow, FINALLY, is designated first-grain brew day. Today's working on building a porch in the rain, just about done with that for right now, tomorrow I don't give a sh*t WHAT happens, I'm frickin' brewing.

Which means I'll be on later tonight with some questions...

Nothing brewing this weekend. Racking my Amber Ale and Black Lager to 2ndry. Cleaning up stuff and out prowling for coolers on sale. Picked up a Rouge Deadguy Ale, Wailing Wench ale, a Scarecrow golden pale ale from Wychwood(first time seeing one of these) and a St Peters cream stout.

I brewed a light ale this morning for my wife. Her favorite batch was the second one I ever brewed: cali pale ale.

It's all extract and when I first made it I mistakenly diluted the brew down to about 1.037 (i was a real newbie). It has a good hop aroma, though, due to 1 oz. of cascades at the knockout.

So today I tried to emulate the results of that first mistake by upping the final volume to 5.5 gallons and letting a bit of LME remain in the bag.

It's funny, several times I've tried to make this brew again for her, but I always wanna put just a little more hops, or a little bit of Crystal malt. Alas, it's never the same. She likes it crisp, aromatic and light. I must admit, it's a real thirst quencher and a great session beer if you make sure the ferment temps are good and constant.

cheers and good luck, gents!

monk

Congrats on breaking out the gear!

This was supposed to be a brew weekend (was going to finally brew the hefe), but my wife surprised me with ~3200 lbs of granite blocks in the driveway, which need to be moved to the backyard to build a raised bed planter. Ugh. I moved about a third of it this morning, and I'm beat.

Good news is I'm drinking a Red Hook Late Harvest Autumn Ale (their current seasonal). Perfect beer for the first day of fall!

Brewing a very dark brown ale with Rogue's Pacman yeast. Austin Homebrew supply had the yeast and I decided for Rogues Hazel Nut Brown Ale. Couldn't locate all of the malts that Rogue recommends so I went with:

9.5#
2-row
1# Munich
1/2# 120 L Crystal
1/2# 90 L Crystal
1/8# Chocolate

1 oz. Perle 90 minutes
1 oz. Saaz 5 minutes

2 liter Pacman yeast overnight starter.

We had friends come by and we grilled in the middle of my brew session so I missed the BG but my original gravity was 1.056. Not sure of the attenuation of Pacman but I'll learn after a week or two. Anyway, I'm hopeful for a good brew and excited to give it a try.

Do you think I'll get close to the Rogue version with the aforementioned grain/hop bill? I'll add extract at racking but not sure how much to use. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Runhard, RacEZ,
Jeffrey

Just decided to try Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale on Sunday. I read the ingredients today and my mouth is watering,mmmmmmmmm Beeeeerrrrrrrrr!
Any day that I can brew on is a great day!

Cheers:tank:

Brewing a Hop Rod Rye clone tmorrow. Unfortunately, the LHBS was out of Amarillo and Columbus, so it will be a "sorta" Hop Rod Rye. I'll probably end up dry hopping with Cascade instead of Amarillo.

I brewed my first ever batch today. :ban:

It is a brown ale from a "kit" put togther by my LHBS. Everything was in the primary by 4:30 this afternoon. Here it is, six hours later, and the airlock is passing gas beautifully. I just hope it continues down the right path to beautiful beery goodness. This waiting is killing me. I guess it will at least give me a chance to dream of what my next batch will be.

Brewed my first AG yesterday, a Pumpkin Ale kit from Midwest. Everything went really well. I picked up a "Phils Sparger" yesterday morning and it worked like a champ. I was just gonna batch sparge, but not any more. The recipe called for an OG of 042-046. Somehow, I achieved a 050!:ban: This morning the airlock was just cruizin!
In about forty minutes, when SWMBO goes to work, I'll be doing my second AG, a SNPA kit from Austin HB.:mug:

hmmm.....got the gutters cleaned, including eradicating a white face hornet nest the size of a beer ball, got all my homework done for my class, along with a bunch of other things that were preventing me from brewing this weekend.

My LHBS is open until 5pm on Sundays.
I think I have the rest of the afternoon to myself and my beer.

I MIGHT SALVAGE A BREW DAY AFTER ALL!!!

Got my Hop Rod Rye done...pitched it on the cream ale cake and had a BIG krausen when I checked it 2 hours later. Plus, I was able to use the second runnings to make 2 gallons of a light (1.035 or so) rye pale.

Every carboy and every keg I own is now full:rockin:

Now, I just need to throw something in my two old plastic buckets, and I'll really have something to be proud of.:tank:

Brewing late. Sweet!

My Haus Ale stopped bubbling. That Nottingham is some fast stuff! I hope it's done. It's hard to tell with a bucket, but based on what other folks have reported, Nottingham is a fast ferment.

EdWort said:
Brewing late. Sweet!

I always brew late. I don't start until my kids are in bed.

I've been trying to come up with a brewery name. I don't want to use my last name and I don't want to use my street name, but as I stand out on my back deck in the dark, I realized that "Mignight Oil Brewery" or just "Midnight Brewing Co." might be a good name.

-walker

I only brew late because it takes me a lot longer that I think it will. Took me 8 hours today for a mini-mash. That's from the point of setting up the equipment to complete cleanup. So I was finished cleaning just as it was starting to get dark, around 08:00 PM. On my two previous brews, I also finished late, after about 8 hours of effort. One at 10:00 PM, the other at 01:30 AM. I really should start earlier in the day, I guess.

I brewed 11 g of JZ's Dark Mild last night so i could attend to family and work related matters today. Finished up at 2 AM, did about half the cleanup then the rest this morning. This is my first attempt at a light gravity beer, scares me a little that it might be thin. I mashed at 156F to give it some body, about 1.3 lbs of crystal 120L, 1.8 of crystal 60L, .25 chocolate, Wlp 002 English Ale Yeast for residuals and moderate attenuation.
I figure I need some holiday brewski stocked up for guests and I want to get people away from Kolsh. They love it, but I find it a little dull. This stuff kinda looked like midnight diesel.

My 1028 is pitched and I'm done cleaning up. I started at 8pm, so this was a typical 4 hour session for me.

I had INTENDED to start at 7pm, but had to make a run to the grocery to pick up some bottled water and molasses.

-walker

Just finished my porter. I started at 4 pm and got everything cleaned and put away around 10, and that was with a 2 hour boil. I ended up boiling more than I needed so I have 5.25 gal instead of 5.5. Gravity is higher than what I shot for because of it, but who cares. OG: 1.073 instead of 1.067 with 77% efficiency. Wort tastes great. I need to do a smaller beer soon just so I can say I finished in 5 hours. :p

"Midnight Oil Brewery" or just "Midnight Brewing Co." might be a good name

I like Midnight Brewing Co. Could do a lot with dark and gloomy labels. Just finished your Caramel Creme Ale, and it smelled great. Just pitched at 78F. Man I hate waiting! Thanks for the recipe.:mug:

smg8041 said:
I like Midnight Brewing Co. Could do a lot with dark and gloomy labels. Just finished your Caramel Creme Ale, and it smelled great. Just pitched at 78F. Man I hate waiting! Thanks for the recipe.:mug:

Hmmmm.... I think you have me confused with Cheesefood. That Caramel Creme Ale is his recipe.

-walker

Walker-san's the MASTER of the IPA (IMHO).

So, curious... what's been lacking in Holy Grails 1-12? Looks like a very good recipe, curious how it has progressed through the permutations... Dude seemed to think it was pretty close to perfect, he recommended I use it as the base of what became my Madness Stout...

Back