whole leaf hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

castillo

Reaction score
I'm trying to complete a recipe that calls for Perle Hops. But the only kind that the store has right know are whole leaf Perle hops. I've never used whole leaf hops before so I just wanted to get some thoughts on using whole leaf hops.

how do you usually use your hops? do you bag them? if so, there's no real difference except you'll have to use a bit more. i think 10% more???

someone might have to check that. promash has ruined all my personal quantitative reasoning.

I'm not really sure, but from what I've picked up, whole leaf hops are better for flavoring/finishing since the lupulin glands are still in-tact. But leaf hops will soak up more of your wort (decreasing volume), and can be a little messy. If I can, I use pellets for bittering, and leaf for flavor and aroma.

yes I usually bag them. The recipe calls for 1oz. 60min. 1/4oz 30min. 1/4oz 5min. So how much should I use of the whole leaf hops?

I wouldn't bother making any adjustments. The bittering add could be increased by 0.1 oz. if you are deeply concerned, but flavor & aroma are fine as-is.

Latest posts

Back