Whole hog and smoker build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thought I would share a fun project here. We are on our 5th annual pig roast now and this year I decided to build a new smoker for the big fella. It is a fun event we do in July, lots of food, lots of beer, regular and homebrew, firework show in the evening, cornhole, ladder golf, volleyball, usually 4wheeler riding and whatever anyone else wants to do (within reason of course). I am not a welder by any means and until this project I have not touched a welder in years so please don't judge me to hard on my very pour welds.:mug: I still have some adjustments to make but this is the start, the tray is removable and strong enough to hold the pig so we can prep it on the tray and carry it to the smoker once the charcoal burns off some and temp settles in. I have done a couple burns in it go get it seasoned and test out the temp control, we were able to hold at 225f pretty steady for several hours on the last burn and I put an loading door on the bottom half of the back of it that doubles as air control so we can up the temp to 250 or 300 fairly easy. Will do my best to take pics of the big day but that wont be until July 17th.
20200528_140053.jpg 20200622_190836 (1).jpg20200702_162855.jpg 20200702_174538.jpg

It was fairly simple, plus I got the 275gal oil drum for free. A friend had built one previously that I used the past couple years so I had some ideas for changes I wanted to make. I usually do a 100-150lb hog on it and the result is excellent. Ill be sure to post some pics when we do this years. I bet a boar would be excellent as well.

Back