Whole cone hop usage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevo4361

Reaction score
Just used my first hop crop of Cascades today in a pale ale. Haven't used fresh hops before, was just wondering if the yellow lupilin globes are supposed to have dissolved after use? Used in a nylon hop bag for fifteen minutes and five minutes with plenty of room in the bags, not packed tight at all. Smelled ok, and will find out pretty soon when the batch is kegged, but just wondering if anybody knows. Thanks,

I brewed with my home grown cascades today. On my 15 min additions, the glands were pretty much gone but they were still around in the flameout addition bag. I wouldn't worry about it.

I assume you didn't use them for bittering because you were unsure of the AA content? I never had mine tested but just based on taste, I would say mine in the first year were around a 4AA. By year three they were more closer to the 6-7 AA range. I am in year four now.

Thanks for the info! Yeah I used an ounce of Magnum at 60 minutes for some "for sure" bittering, then my Cascade whole cones for aroma and flavor additions. They are from two first year plants, would guess I got maybe five or six ounces. Looking forward to sampling this beer.

FYI - I got 4.5 pounds from my two cascade plants in year four: 1.5 pounds in year three.

Back