Whoa Whoa whoa! Truvia Ferments?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krbrumma

Reaction score
Recently I posted about a Pb&J stout that went bad, tasted like bitter poo... well was trying to turn it less bitter to see if it was drinkable.. as a umm.. bittered grape-barley wine stout.. :drunk:

Well, i dumped truvia all up in there and let it sit for a day.. next day

I popped the cap to taste test and PoooFFF!! that thing shot like a bat outta hell.

Any idea's why this stuff is so fermentable? I don't believe that there are any enzymes like in beano to break down non-fermentable sugars in to fermentables.

Soooo.. what in this Zero Calorie Sweetner is so fermentable?? :confused:

Why do you think gushing is an indication of fermentation? I'm betting it's more like co2 reacting with nucleation sites on the truvia granuels, ala diet coke and mentos...Not fermentation.

You'd need to conduct a more formal experiment I would think. Involving gravity readings....or at least trying to make a starter with it. I'm pretty sure since it is a form of stevia that it's not fermentable

Will Stevia act as a "fuel" for yeast in baking as sugar does? No! Stevia is non-fermentable and therefore will not act as a food source for yeast. (This is why stevia is great for anyone suffering from Candida!) Breads will still rise when baked but just not as big.

What is Truvia?

It's cargill and China's attempt to pass a chemical formulation of an artificial sweetener made from messing with stevia off as all "natural"

Truvia is a stevia-based sugar substitute developed jointly by Coca-Cola and Cargill. It is currently distributed and marketed by Cargill as a tabletop sweetener and as a food ingredient.[1] Because it comes from the stevia plant, Cargill classifies it as a natural sweetener in addition to being a non-nutritive sweetener.[2] It is made of rebiana, erythritol, and natural flavors.[3] Since its launch in 2008, Truvia natural sweetener has captured more than 9.5% of the $1.3 billion U.S. sugar substitute market, surpassing Merisant's Equal as the number 3 sugar substitute.[4] Truvia competes against Pepsi's PureVia brand of stevia-extract sweetener.

Since 2008, Chinese ingredients company GLG Life Tech Corporation, a company listed on the TSX, has been Cargill's exclusive supplier of stevia extract; prior to that agreement GLG worked with Cargill for several years developing a supply chain for Truvia, including leaf supply and extract manufacturing.[5]

There is a truvia product called "truvia baking blend", where the "baking blend" part of the name is in a sneaky font about 25% the size of the "truvia" logo. You have to read the package very closely to see that the baking blend includes sugar, apparently 50% by volume. Presumably this *would* ferment and give you a nasty surprise.

Back