Who is this guy I was talking to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Guys, a lots brewing here. I've been busy. With the day job but also we have maybe 30% of the stuff hooked up in the barn. I was able to sell a few things and made a few thousand dollars that I may do the smart thing and invest in stocks or I've been hearing a lot about stuff like Bitcoin but maybe I'll buy Litecoin it's $90 and bitcoin is $10,000 and both up like 40% and not stopping?? How do I get on that bus. Sounds smart doesn't it. Trying to get smarter lately... and richer! No I'm not Kato ha!!! Forget the stocking market, I have maybe 2 months to get the brewery producing before the OJ simpson movie or whatever it is comes out. The only question is how much attention will I get? If it's buried on Court TV then not much. If it's a big time Hollywood thing, I can't even imagine maybe my brewery will be a household name. Many of you have contacted me in private asking for the recipe to my cupcake stout and if it tasted good. Yes it was great and still say it's my flagship brew and I have access to all these cupcakes for free. I've got my labels and a bench bottle canner for faster capping. I just can't believe my first beer turned out this good! It's quite a journey! I had a lot to be thankful for this Thanksgiving. I spent it by myself working on the pipe in the barn with my plumber buddy but I wouldn't have it any other way.

If you are raising instant capital for a new business venture, I think investing a few grand in long-term yielding assets sounds like a great plan, that way you have something to look forward to, like a calendar in a cellblock.

If the movie filmed a week or two ago and premiers in only two month's time, based on that production timeline I'd say its a made for TV project and not likely to make your brewery a household name. Not to mention, OJ is not the kind of household name you need to burnish your brand image.

While we are on the subject of becoming a "household name" I think that term gets tossed around a lot with regards to new brand launches by people who have no idea what it actually takes to get your brand in front of a large enough audience to make it well known in general, much less a household name. In addition to large and regular investments in advertising & promotion, it can take a decade or more to build consumer confidence before your brand becomes trusted, and trust is but one rung of the ladder your brand must climb before it has a change of becoming a household name. I don't think a small brewery in Montana can produce enough beer to grow its reputation beyond the immediate region, let along nationwide, that is unless something goes horribly wrong. Notoriety travels much faster than anything else when it comes to increasing brand awareness, so might be best to get your plumbing straightened out before launching your flagship.

If you are raising instant capital for a new business venture, I think investing a few grand in long-term yielding assets sounds like a great plan, that way you have something to look forward to, like a calendar in a cellblock.

If the movie filmed a week or two ago and premiers in only two month's time, based on that production timeline I'd say its a made for TV project and not likely to make your brewery a household name. Not to mention, OJ is not the kind of household name you need to burnish your brand image.

While we are on the subject of becoming a "household name" I think that term gets tossed around a lot with regards to new brand launches by people who have no idea what it actually takes to get your brand in front of a large enough audience to make it well known in general, much less a household name. In addition to large and regular investments in advertising & promotion, it can take a decade or more to build consumer confidence before your brand becomes trusted, and trust is but one rung of the ladder your brand must climb before it has a change of becoming a household name. I don't think a small brewery in Montana can produce enough beer to grow its reputation beyond the immediate region, let along nationwide, that is unless something goes horribly wrong. Notoriety travels much faster than anything else when it comes to increasing brand awareness, so might be best to get your plumbing straightened out before launching your flagship.

Well with all due respect (and how much is due I question) I don't think you're right anymore that it takes 10 or 20 years for a brand to be trusted. There are dozens of beers I drink every day that haven't been around that long. I haven't travelled much but I get the sense that there's a bubble or a wave growing like the dot com thing in the 90's but this time it's about beer and people want to see a small brewery like is_mell_weird succeed over a big mass produced giant like Anheiser's Bush, sort of like how I'd rather buy a painting you made than buy a painting from home depot to hang on my brewery's wall. You need to strike while the iron is hot as they say and I believe it's red hot, and this movie will be the strike, but maybe it doesn't make me a household name. If I find myself with enough profit just to grow bigger right away, that's the logical next step. I heard a story, Amazon didn't invest any money in advertising for years until they became profitable. I think about that story a lot. It's the exact opposite of your theory! Thanks, I'll listen to Amazon before a guy with a hat like that.

Well with all due respect (and how much is due I question)
None taken.

I don't think you're right anymore that it takes 10 or 20 years for a brand to be trusted.
You didn't say trusted, you said a household name. I mentioned trusted as a step on the path to becoming a household name.

There are dozens of beers I drink every day that haven't been around that long.
Dozens of beers every day? Now it's all coming into focus.

...people want to see a small brewery like is_mell_weird succeed over a big mass produced giant like Anheiser's Bush, sort of like how I'd rather buy a painting you made than buy a painting from home depot to hang on my brewery's wall.
Anheiser's bush aside, there are tens of thousands of small breweries you're competing with, some of them run by expert brewers even, and a few don't even have stupid names. With all due respect (if any) you are already behind the 8 ball.

Just for the record, I'm a terrible painter and I can assure you a painting of Anheiser's Bush would look much better on your mantlepiece.

If I find myself with enough profit just to grow bigger right away, that's the logical next step.

Profit...right away? Startup breweries sometimes go 2-3 years before showing a profit. I hope your mom makes a mean meat loaf, you'll be eating there alot on the way to profitability.

I heard a story, Amazon didn't invest any money in advertising for years until they became profitable.

Precisely my point, it took years of hard work to reach profitability.

Thanks, I'll listen to Amazon before a guy with a hat like that.

My hat sir is none of your business, and besides, you are no Jeff Bezos. Biff Jezos maybe, but no Jeff Bezos.

I tried to hold this back, but I'm just gonna bust if I do.

Ismellweird, nye kulturny. People try to offer help and advice, and you respond with inane personal remarks. If that's what you like, bring it.

You don't want constructive comments, you want confirmation of your delusions.

Besides being homebrewers, we are scientists, engineers, designers, builders, business owners (the sucessful kind). The knowledge base here is astonishing. I'm just an old sailor, but I am HONORED, sir, HONORED, to be accepted here.

I wish you well, I truly do. But with your attitude, I think the universe is going to kick your sorry ill mannered a$$ to Jupiter and back.

To everybody else, sorry. Sometimes it just comes out. Sorry.

I tried to hold this back, but I'm just gonna bust if I do.

Ismellweird, nye kulturny. People try to offer help and advice, and you respond with inane personal remarks. If that's what you like, bring it.

You don't want constructive comments, you want confirmation of your delusions.

Besides being homebrewers, we are scientists, engineers, designers, builders, business owners (the sucessful kind). The knowledge base here is astonishing. I'm just an old sailor, but I am HONORED, sir, HONORED, to be accepted here.

I wish you well, I truly do. But with your attitude, I think the universe is going to kick your sorry ill mannered a$$ to Jupiter and back.

To everybody else, sorry. Sometimes it just comes out. Sorry.

Well if you saw how he has responded to many of my serious posts you’ll understand why it’s become personal but I see it more like a debate either way. I’m not here to insult anyone but will proudly defend my own honor and business plan. He has made jokes about poop in my beer and other things that technically are not true and I was patient but think at times it’s worth sparring if that’s how the game is going to be played, I will play it. When I was younger people asked if I was weird a lot and I made lemons with it, just like I will make beer. Who has the last laugh, maybe Mell. Not the man with the yellow hat. But I respect his oh pinions.

Why do people ask you if you're weird? It just doesn't make sense to me. Not to any of us. I am certifiably weird myself and yet not a single person has ever asked me about it. We're all weird about something or other, lots of us even smell weird, but none of us see any of that as a marketing opportunity.

That poop in your kettle stuff you brought on yourself. You're here to troll and we're trolling you right back, it's all in good fun, a poke in the ribs to let you know you're welcome here even though you are thoroughly weird. Why don't you make some lemonade out of that?

giphy.gif

You know, I don't have thin skin. I just find it funny that every serious thread I create on here ends up somehow attracting that same guys who start calling me a troll and making poop references about an issue I had a MONTH ago. It happens again and again and I'm not the one causing every one of my threads to jump off the rails, it's him. You can easily go see my other posts and judge for yourself. I'm here to share some funny experiences with you all, and get advice, and be part of the community. This thing about trolls and fred the cat and drywall coming up in every thread from the same guys is a constant annoyance for me but I am certainly not letting it hurt my time here. I appreciate you all being welcoming to me here and I've received a lot of help and advice from a lot of nice people. I'm sure jayjay is a nice guy too, but I see he thinks I'm joking all the time, so I guess I understand why he keeps reacting this way. I'm not joking, maybe it's the style of my typing. Sometimes I'm using speech to text, not exactly the best and it probably makes some of my posts sound strange but in my "day job" I'm not allowed to spend a lot of time browsing message boards, so people hear me speaking and they don't really know I'm actually posting to message boards, they probably think I'm on the phone. Much easier. edit--i had to remove an issue related to speech.

Last edited:
This is such a weird thread. I've been sitting here watching and eating popcorn for 2 months. I need an update. Or at least more wild speculation.

Ah man, I saw this on the "recent threads" sidebar and got all excited thinking the TV show/movie was released and when they mentioned this dude's brew I could jump up and down screaming, "I know that guy!"

Now that's what friends are for! Good lookin out! I can't think of a better way to pass a frigid winter day. I don't care what everyone else says - you're good in my book!

Thanks, I try to spread the goodness around when there is so much hilarity. There's another FredTheCat thread from a few months back, about "true beer" or some such. Seek that one out.

Thanks, I try to spread the goodness around when there is so much hilarity. There's another FredTheCat thread from a few months back, about "true beer" or some such. Seek that one out.

Oh, I read that one. Got me through some tough times.

Hey mell, how are the sales figures for your flagship beer, the strawberry cupcake porta-potty porter? I ran into kaeto yesterday at ihop, he said the documentary about your brewery airs tonight. He said he got the lead role, playing you. I thought he had your North Dakota accent just right but the weird smell still needs work.

Hey mell, how are the sales figures for your flagship beer, the strawberry cupcake porta-potty porter? I ran into kaeto yesterday at ihop, he said the documentary about your brewery airs tonight. He said he got the lead role, playing you. I thought he had your North Dakota accent just right but the weird smell still needs work.

Hi All, it's been an unusually busy few months. Since we last spoke I had a buddy convince me to sell one of the unused equipment and I invested it in cryptocurrency and made something odd, like 10,000% return, I think. Sometimes the poor get richer, but I'm not rich yet. We've done so mucxh work on the brewery and although the licensing isn't moving quickly we're in a wait and see mode. Just perfecting recipes in the meantime. Wow, so many of them. It's nice to see you all commenting on my thread. It always gives me a laugh when there is silence and everyone starts up on their troll talk again. I hope you've all had a nice holiday and I look forward to more lively conversation here.

Since we last spoke I had a buddy convince me to sell one of the unused equipment and I invested it in cryptocurrency and made something odd, like 10,000% return, I think.
10,000% return, eh? A bird in the hand....

Hey, what's that weird smell? Anyone else smell that? I smell another batch of your flagship porta-potty-porter brewin'. Put me down for a Firken, this $hit is smooooth.
Sometimes the poor get richer, but I'm not rich yet.
I hear ya, brother.
We've done so mucxh work on the brewery and although the licensing isn't moving quickly we're in a wait and see mode.
You know the rules... Pics or it didn't happen.
Just perfecting recipes in the meantime. Wow, so many of them.
Recipes? Care to share any details? You're not brewing with hops, are you? That's so last weekend.
It's nice to see you all commenting on my thread. It always gives me a laugh when there is silence and everyone starts up on their troll talk again.
At your service, my liege.
I hope you've all had a nice holiday....
Indeed, I made the most of president's day by sipping a few dozen homebrews in my underpants while staring feverishly at a jigsaw puzzle of Mount Rushmore. Try as I might, I just couldn't make that heap of puzzle pieces assemble themselves, though I did manage to pop a blood vessel in one eye.
...and I look forward to more lively conversation here.
I think we all are!

Just wait until Alzheimer Busch buys the rights to that Gary_Oak-Aged Crypto-Cupcake Drywall Porter recipe and then we'll ALL be sorry!

Nah, it'll be in the next Sam Adams variety pack. I'll be sure to drink that one first. Then the next 11 will be uphill from there.

Last edited:
How about "Kato Kupcake"?

...or KupKake?

BTW, speaking of plays on words... in an above post I jokingly referred to one of the big beer conglomerates as "Alzheimer Busch". It wasn't meant to make fun of the debilitating condition of Alzheimer's Disease; that is anything but funny and I have witnessed the devastating effects of that terrible disease in my own family. My sincerest apologies to anyone who read that and may have been offended by my very lame and unthinking attempt at a play on words.

Last edited:
Wow. I just stumbled upon this gem. I recall reading the "poop in the kettle" thread, I think I may have commented on it- or mentioned it in one of fredthecat's masterpieces.

I'm pretty sure Stinky Mel and Fred the Cat are different people. FTC was opening some sorta something-or-other as well. These dudes really need to get together!

Back