Who is Brewing this 4th of July....or at least the weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Dogfish 60 in the keg, a Stone Ruination IPA getting into another keg on Friday, and a Cascade IPA going into the secondary on Saturday. Looks like I need another IPA to brew on Sunday :)

I'll try to brew tomorrow, July 3. I have a blonde/pale ale in mind - 1.049, 4 oz of a Summer/Rakau split, with Notty (first time using it).

This'll be my last summer beer before I get into fall mode with a Maris Otter pumpkin ale and a hopped-up brown ale.

July 3. Making a 10g batch of a 1064 APA with lager yeast. Hoping 12oz of hops is enough!

On staycation all next week. Brewing an ESB, probably on Tuesday.

I'll be brewing a saison over the weekend but a couple years back I brewed a special 4th of July beer with Victory malt and Liberty hops.

Love it. I'm brewing a 14g batch of a simple pale on the 4th. At the suggestion of a friend, I'm gonna call it EagleFire IV.

I'm hoping to be making my Sweet Bourbon Barrel Stout this weekend. Also I'm going to be smoking some shrimp stuffed jalapeno peppers and a Boston butt. I'm also going to smoke about 1-2# 2-Row for my rousch beer next on the docket.

Well I started this post....and planned on a Dusseldorf Alt today...but that went by the wayside when my WLP036 ended up being dead dead dead.....luckily I have Chocolate Milk Stout recipe on hand....brewing that....give me plenty of time for it to age properly for the fall or winter :mug:

Just got done brewing my first lager, an Oktoberfest. Fixed a leaky mash tun and hit my numbers. Chilling tonight and will pitch the starter in the morning. What a way to start the weekend!

I'm off today but my darling bride is working. So instead of my usual up before dawn brewday, I'm sleeping in, leisurely enjoying coffee and soon I'll go to the local diner for eggs and bacon and buttery toast. After brewday, the grill is getting fired up for brats and kielbasa.

I suppose I should mow the lawn so it looks like I did something productive today.

EDIT: I'm at the diner. Twenty-something guy, obviously hungover as s#*t, in his pajamas, sitting a few stools down. Heh.

My weekend started on Wednesday; don't have to be to work again until next Wednesday. Yesterday the daughter and I brewed a scotch ale. This is the first brewing without "following" someone else's recipe. Although I've never been able to follow a recipe 100% whether it's beer or not.

I will be brewing my first ever clone batch of Pliny the Elder...got lots of hopshot ready to go and a crapton of simcoe in my freezer

I brewed my Oktoberbeast Ale last night... looks like I will be working all weekend, so I had to use my day off to get it done.

:)

Just killed my last keg of Hefe.....

300 pounds of two row and a new 55 pound bag of wheat in stock... Lot's of Hallertauer's and yeast too...

Guess what I'm making tomorrow?

Halfway through mash on a Honey-Brown Bourbon-Oaked Ale. Unwilling Barley Crusher stalled the process. Mash should have been in 3 hours ago. Slight detour to BMW dealer to drop off son's car for service. Didn't know you have to be listed on insurance policy to get loaner. Got shuttled back home in courtesy car and solved mill problem. Holy "Brewus Interruptus".

Just finished 5.5 gallons of eschatz's Requiem Raspberry base all grain version with the intent of kegging in a couple of weeks with half second fermenting as Raspberry and the other half Blackberry.

Numbers came out perfect so we'll see what happens later.

I'll try to brew tomorrow, July 3. I have a blonde/pale ale in mind - 1.049, 4 oz of a Summer/Rakau split, with Notty (first time using it).

This'll be my last summer beer before I get into fall mode with a Maris Otter pumpkin ale and a hopped-up brown ale.

Brew day started at 6:35 am since the pup woke me up at around 6:10. Wife and daughter stayed in bed until 7:45, so I was nearly done with my mash by the time they were up. Pitched Notty into my new Speidel 30L fermenter at 10:40 or so. Relying on an ice bath is the long pole in the proverbial tent on my brewday, but this was my shortest brewday so far. Maybe not the most relaxing, but I wanted to get this done to get my pipeline up and running before I start brewing these upcoming longer-conditioning beers.

Won't be brewing, but will be drinking a victory blonde ale on the 4th for sisters wedding.
All 2row with victory being the specialty grain. Seemed fitting for the date.

Brewing Sunday the 5th.
Work had me passing through Indianapolis Wednesday, so I had to stop in Great Fermentations. Couldn't leave empty-handed . . . . spread the love.

http://shop.greatfermentations.com/product/brain-eater-pale-all-grain-kit/all-grain-beer-kits

1028 London Ale starter on the stirrer.

Have a great 4th,
'da Kid

Cool brew store there. Awesome that they have a zombie dust clone kit! Enjoy. I forgot about London ale yeast. That would be a good sub for me from the usual S05 kick I've used for my last 4 brews.

Brewed an American Stout on the 3rd. Just finishing up primary now. WLP002 is a beast.

I expect I will brew on the 4th or 5th since I plan to go fishing/camping the following weekend. I'll probly brew an IPA and smoke some ribs as well.
42.gif
63.gif

Can I borrow your time machine? :drunk:

Here is an update on the IPA that I brewed on the 3rd.... In a few days I plan to cold crash, warm back up to cellar temp and then dry hop.

c-5nF4HtES5LG01XKcI8OrGaX7fYmuYZMSPXY6zZq_A

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 16.07 gal
Post Boil Volume: 14.82 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 13.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 13.05 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 6.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 124.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 67.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 70.7 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
20 lbs 11.0 o Pale Malt (2 Row) US ( Grain 1 55.4 %
10 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2 Grain 2 26.8 %
6 lbs 11.0 oz Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 3 17.9 %
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [1 Hop 4 36.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.90 %] - Hop 5 10.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [1 Hop 6 13.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boi Hop 7 10.9 IBUs
2.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [1 Hop 8 22.0 IBUs
2.00 oz Centennial [10.90 %] - Hop 9 13.1 IBUs
2.00 oz Citra [13.90 %] - Boil Hop 10 12.2 IBUs
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boi Hop 11 6.3 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [13.90 %] - Boil Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
4.0 pkg Safale American (DCL/ Yeast 13 -
3.00 oz Centennial [10.90 %] - Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [1 Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Citra [13.90 %] - Dry Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
3.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 37 lbs 6.1 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 12.48 gal of water 149.0 F 75 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun , 4.44gal, 4.44gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
Brew Day: 7/3/15

heated HLT to 168F

150F mash rest from 11:40 to 12:40

1:41pm - 2oz Columbus

2:14pm - 1oz Columbus

2:16pm - 1oz Simcoe

2:21pm - 2oz Columbus

2:26pm - 2oz - Centenial

2:31pm - 2oz Citra

2:36pm - 2oz Simcoe

2:41pm - 1oz Citra

---------------------

Collected 4.5 gallons in each of three fermenters.

Could only chill into the 90s due to hose water temp

Chilled down to 75F before pitching 4x US-05 into the three fermenters

Continued to chill down to 64F, held for two days then ramped up 1F at a time to 70F

----------------------

Good luck on the 10 gallon batch! My boil kettle is only 10.5 so I usually do around 7-8 gallons, or just enough to top off the corny keg after losses if I'm not bottling. I will be doing a orange honey wheat soon as well. The recipe on HBT here but I think I'll add the late citruisy hops just because I've got them.

10g worked out ok in my keggle, with some slight modifications.

20# grain bill.

Instead of being able to mash in with full volume, I started with 10g.

After the mash, I drained about 4g out of the keggle. I added 4 gallons as a pour over sparge, then pulled the grain bag. Finally, I added the "first runnings" back in, giving me a 13g pre-boil volume.

Will definitely do this again for future batches.

Latest posts

Back