Who is brewing on Long Island?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I appreciate your response. And am sorry if I bother you but is that 4 ounces of cocoa husk in the mash for a 5 gallon batch? If that’s the case and your getting a solid chocolate I am most certainly glad I asked because a was thinking a pound.

yeah i brew to 5-5.5 in the kettle and put 4.5-5 in the fermenter cause I ferment in a corny. That particular grist is 19.5lbs (including the husk), so its really only like 2%.

I thought it was VERY present particularly when pulling the sweet wort off, but you could certainly go higher. I also use 2oz of nibs (from the same source) post ferm (not really a secondary vessel, i just throw them in after crashing out the yeast for a few days, similar to my dry hop method). The husk came in a half pound bag at the chocolate place I got them from so i wanted to do at least two batches. I felt like i found some reference somewhere, it might have even been on the bag, suggesting the 4oz. But I was able to find the stuff online, and they say use all 8oz for a 5g batch.

Mānoa Chocolate - Brewing Chocolate

if anyone is planning to place an order with them, i suggest trying some of their chocolate from different regions. unfortunately i couldn't try any for other allergy concerns, but my wife said it was pretty neat how the chocolate changes from one location to another. There are two sets of mountain ranges on oahu that kind of give you east, west, and valley areas that bugs and plant life don't typically cross. Chocolate isn't self pollinating, it relies on pollen from other plants, so it influences the flavor of the end chocolate significantly. Not terribly dissimilar from hops and grapes, though they clearly have different mechanisms of terroir.

Howdy, brewing mead in Smithtown using one or two fruits and herbs. Recent batches include beach plum, wineberry, prickly pear, ginger, reishi.
Anyone else going to West Meadow beach for spring water?

Howdy, brewing mead in Smithtown using one or two fruits and herbs. Recent batches include beach plum, wineberry, prickly pear, ginger, reishi.
Anyone else going to West Meadow beach for spring water?
Welcome to the forum. I didn’t know there was spring water at West Meadow beach, might check it out. I’m planning a coffee mead, made with coffee blossom honey.

CB7D987E-05F8-48FE-B41C-C5F1AFB59588.jpeg

Brewers East End Revival (B.E.E.R.) is meeting on Monday October 18 @ 7:30 @ Brickhouse Brewery West Main St. Patchogue. We do a couple raffles, and share home brew when the meeting is adjourned. Meetings are free and you need not be a paid member to attend.

$30 Ticket to Long Island Brew Fest on October 16, 2021 from 1-5pm. Get Early bird tickets now! Use Code BEER and save 40% on tickets!! Buy now before this deal is gone! Deal ends October 11th
Try over 100 styles of Beer at Tanger Outlets Deer Park
Tickets and info
www.eventbrite.com/e/168603137523/?discount=BEER
When: October 16th 2021
Where: Tanger Outlets Deer Park
152 The Arches Circle
Session: 1-5pm

I know nothing about this style or how it’s meant to be made but could it be a flame vs ember problem? the flames causing too much soot on the rocks? Would it be out of bounds to do this with charcoal instead of logs?

I know nothing about this style or how it’s meant to be made but could it be a flame vs ember problem? the flames causing too much soot on the rocks? Would it be out of bounds to do this with charcoal instead of logs?
I have read that essentally rinsing the hot rocks, by first dipping them in water greatly reduces the sootiness, but heat is also lost extending the time needed. Last year, I had a little misshape - my fermentor dropped into the street as I was loading it into the car and the bung I had in the lid went missing. Long story short, I poured off the remaining wort into a pot to bring to a boil and left a lot of black crud behind in the bottom of the original bucket. That made a difference in the beer when it was done, for the better.
As far as heating the stones, I suppose charcoal could be used and ash would still make it into the wort, but not much soot, and at a higher cost. I can’t even guess how many bags would be needed for this large scale. After a storm, wood is free, right?

A friend has 5 ball lock soda kegs available for free. They may contain soda or residue. He is near me in Rocky Point. He probably wouldn't refuse a few homebrews in exchange. Message me or reply here if you can use them.

A friend has 5 ball lock soda kegs available for free. They may contain soda or residue. He is near me in Rocky Point. He probably wouldn't refuse a few homebrews in exchange. Message me or reply here if you can use them.

I’ll take two! Please!

Yes looking forward to meeting you @Hoppy2bmerry - thanks for the assist there! And @JohnSand thank you as well - I’ll get you some beer next time up on the north shore!
I appreciate that, but there's no pressure or hurry. Hoppy2BMerry brought plenty of beer.
If you do happen to be in the neighborhood, I always have beer on tap.

Looking for 1/2 barrel keg on Long Island with smooth dome top. (Pictured below)
29891.jpeg

On many kegs, such as AB, there's a stamped star pattern. I don't want that type. The reason for this (as you can see) is that I want to fit a corny lid.

Also looking for 10# & 20# CO2 tanks.

Please let me know if you're selling any of this equipment.

Hi Team.LI.

Is anybody interested in (or been thinking about) building a DIY counterflow chiller? If so have one that has been started using stainless tubing and just laying around that may be a good starting point for you. Just looking to give it to somebody local that would have use for it. Let me know if you want it.
16424384479412715154452598262650.jpg

What’s up li brewers. I’m the one that asked for advice about the pappy 23. I just couldn’t do it. Got great advice from both sides weather to sell or drink. I ended up trading for this I paid 200 or so for the bottle and got this monster. Side note it anyone knows a brewery that neeeds some bbq let me know lol
7BAA3E3C-7429-43F6-B7A3-E9185BC6C008.jpeg

Last edited:
Want to Buy
Variable Capacity Tank(s) on Long Island.
I'm looking for used tanks 200 to 500 liters as pictured below. PM me if you are selling tanks, or know someone that is.
Tanks!
Screenshot_20220214-102634_Chrome~2.jpg
Screenshot_20220214-115230_Chrome.jpg

HBC B.E.E.R. is holding the monthly meeting at the Brickhouse Brewery Main St Patchogue on 2/21. The topic is off flavors and a training kit from More Beer will be used. Meetings are free, come in introduce yourself, maybe bring some homebrew to wash away all those off flavors when the meeting is over, or get feedback on your beer. Meeting starts @7:30
FB6939BC-9355-4B46-92AE-F26A3037C143.jpeg

Last edited:
Where do you buy bulk grain?
My last purchase of a sack was from Karp's. I was there on Friday, and they only had Maris Otter sacks, no pale or pilsner. The clerk told me that their supplier couldn't get enough employees to take orders, or drivers to deliver. Today I visited Tallmadge Agway in Riverhead. They had one sack of pale that rang up at $132. I said that had to be a mistake, so they checked and confirmed that due to increases in grain and shipping costs they had to double prices. So one place is out, the other is unreasonable. Any recent purchases?

I'm still buying the 10lb sacks from morebeer with free shipping. Definitely not as cost effective as buying a whole sack, but it matches my brewing schedule and cost targets well enough. They recently had rahr pilsner on sale for 65/bag with free shipping. I know the bags dont normally apply but for some reason this did.

I wonder if any of the homebrew clubs do group buys? or with the assistance of a brewery with an account? I'd probably grab a bag if that were to happen

Where do you buy bulk grain?
My last purchase of a sack was from Karp's. I was there on Friday, and they only had Maris Otter sacks, no pale or pilsner. The clerk told me that their supplier couldn't get enough employees to take orders, or drivers to deliver. Today I visited Tallmadge Agway in Riverhead. They had one sack of pale that rang up at $132. I said that had to be a mistake, so they checked and confirmed that due to increases in grain and shipping costs they had to double prices. So one place is out, the other is unreasonable. Any recent purchases?

this is getting serious! last time I was at Karps I took the three sacks they had, was all MO. I've been buying from Maltose Express over in CT as I'm driving through there at least monthly but now they are closed/closing. Seems like Morebeer and Northern Brewer are going may end up being the only realistic options which is a real shame.

I had business in Nassau today, so I took the opportunity to stop at Kedco. I bought pale and Belgian Pilsner, for $65 and $70 a sack. That's going to hold me for a long time.

Last edited:
I’ve never needed a 55# sac, but when I see a sale I get some… enough for free or flat rate shipping. Kedco, will get what you need if they don’t carry it. Also, HBC members get a little discount At the shop.

While I'm brewing and drinking less than previously, (to avoid weight gain) I like to keep enough supplies on hand for my brews. Maybe it won't be a problem, but this concerned me enough to but two sacks when I would usually buy one.

While I don’t buy a full sack, I have the equivalent weight of a couple on hand since i didn’t brew much last year, and with the prices jumping up im glad I do.

Back