Who has brewed Biermuncher's Centenial Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tpost704

Reaction score
I recently posted about brewing a 5 gallon BIAB batch of Biermuncher's centenial blonde. I was curious about mash additions, but the responses consisted of tweaks I should make to the recepie such as dropping the carapils and moving hop additions around. My question is how many people have brewed this beer following the original recepie and how did it turn out? Should I brew this they way Biermuncher says? It seems to be a very well recieved recepie. Original post linked below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/centennial-blonde-recipe-critique.647220/#post-8254778

I would always recommend brewing the recipe as written by the author the first time. Once you've had the beer the way it was originally intended to be you can make tweaks to fit your own personal tastes from there.

I've brewed that Centennial Blonde recipe before. It's fine. If you enjoy a plain old blonde ale this is a good one to try.

I would also recommend brewing it as written the first time, how else would you know if something was off if you changed it. I too have made it a few times, and it's just fine as is for me. A plain simple single hop blonde ale.

I do make changes to the water now, but not the grain bill or hop schedule.

It needs no tweaking. Quite possibly, the most popular home brew recipe. I just brewed it 2 weeks ago and it should be ready to sample.

Ditto what everyone else has said. Leave the ingredients alone the first time...and maybe every time after that. If you have to change something, maybe increase the mash temperature a degree or two.

I did however it was three years ago. I remember it be a decent easy drinking beer
I remember brewing it on my birthday and it being one of the only beer my father actually liked (Genesee drinker) before he passed that year.

I’ve brewed it at least twice. 10 gallon batches. I dry hop one of the carboys.

It needs no tweaking. Quite possibly, the most popular home brew recipe. I just brewed it 2 weeks ago and it should be ready to sample.

I agree, a most excellent recipe as it stands, but makes a great base recipe that can be tweaked slightly by substituting comparable grains, or changing the hops and yeast around. I brewed a variation using a bit of Citra for bittering, Saaz hops, white wheat, and WLP001 yeast. The wort was "boosted" slightly with clover honey and hit with Whirlfloc.
It turned out slightly hoppy, bright clear gold in color, and with bittering very near a Pils. Best damned beer I've made, no question.

I agree, a most excellent recipe as it stands, but makes a great base recipe that can be tweaked slightly by substituting comparable grains, or changing the hops and yeast around. I brewed a variation using a bit of Citra for bittering, Saaz hops, white wheat, and WLP001 yeast. The wort was "boosted" slightly with clover honey and hit with Whirlfloc.
It turned out slightly hoppy, bright clear gold in color, and with bittering very near a Pils. Best damned beer I've made, no question.

Lefou- I’m a huge fan of adding honey. Care to share the recipe?

I’ll agree w others, this is a great recipe. Brew as is a couple of times then start tweaking to your taste. I’ve brewed this a couple of times and always turned out great. I added apricot purée once and it made the beer unbalanced. Too tart. I brewed again and added 6 oz of honey malt and it was great.

Salt additions?
That depends on your tastes.

My taste runs toward malty to slightly hoppy, but I used Brewers friend to adjust for the "Light Colored and Malty" profile.
I used soft bottled mineral water (Poland Springs - my tap water has chloramines) and added to the mash/sparge .... 1 tsp CaCl2 and .5tsp CaSO4 for a 4.5-5gallon batch.

Last edited:
Back