Who else ever bottled their starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I must admit, it might sound a bit weird, but I was really curious how my starter would taste when bottled and carbed up.

I was using an old and not properly stored pack of m44, 100g dme and 1g simcoe @25min to keep the bugs out in 1l water.

I cold crashed it after fermentation finished, decanted the beer, bottled and primed it and .... Bloody hell this is a darn good beer now! Really fruity in a good way and nice body for the low og. Unfortunately, I have only two bottles, in other words only one is left.

Was it the recipe or the massive overpitching? Don't know but it rocks :D

I will do that again! In fact ... I already did it with my kveik starter. Am I the only one doing this?

Skol!

Last edited:
Neat. I always taste starter wort but it is normally so oxidised that it's not great.

Good news for the extract brewers though. Maybe post the recipe ;)

Forgot to write down the volume, but I added it to the initial post. Basically the recipe couldn't get any easier. 1g simcoe, 100g light dme, 1l water, boil it for half an hour, chill and add mangrove Jack's m44 yeast.

Back