Who are HomeBrewTalk's Most Experienced?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catdaddy66

Reaction score
I was reading some of the instruction threads at the top of each forum and was struck by the wealth of knowledge some members have! This comes from dedication to brewing great beers and I have brewed for a while now (> 15 years and about 30 batches, mostly extract) but have turned out twice as many brews in the last year and a half as I did for my initial ten years. That got me thinking... Who among our members has the most experience (years brewing, batches brewed, etc) in this great hobby?

Can't wait to be amazed by the tales this thread sets down for posterity!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Not me! Less than 3 years; 37 batches. I'm more shocked that you only brew about 2 batches a year unless there was some big breaks in there.

Not me! Less than 3 years; 37 batches. I'm more shocked that you only brew about 2 batches a year unless there was some big breaks in there.

Big break it was! I've brewed 14 batches in 18 months and the last 6 were all grain.

37 batches is enough to learn quite a bit about the brewing process, you must admit!

I would give you a list of the great brewers on the site, but it would be an incomplete list. That would be a slight to all the other great brewers.

To be considerate of all the great brewers, no list.

Experience is relavent only to knowledge. trying to remeber the science behind everything is mind blowing. I have the brew day down like a fat kid on a hamburger, but lack in the science. 93 brew days in three years, all grain only. Never did anything else.

I'd say yooper & revvy for starters. JohnM would be another. There are def a lot more I just can't think of off the top of my head. I've done a lot with Cooper's cans,Munton's DME's etc up to partial mash since January '11.

I'd say yooper & revvy for starters. JohnM would be another. There are def a lot more I just can't think of off the top of my head. I've done a lot with Cooper's cans,Munton's DME's etc up to partial mash since January '11.

True, and Denny told me once he had well over 400 AG batches! You yourself have a wealth of experience also!

Denny's another one I couldn't think of on the fly. He's been doing it for some time now. Hell,he even has a yeast named after him! While it's true I've done a lot of fermenting in my time,a lot of that was with various wines up to age 30. In January '11 I started brewing & experimenting with what I called recombinent extract. I mixed certain extracts for their colors & flavors with various hops to get a different beer than they are usually used for. Cooper's cans are a good example of this. Partial mash is even more fun for recombining flavors & colors to get various complexities. But these other folks have more experience than me from the sheer amount of time they've been doing it. Not to mention competitions,judging,etc...:mug:

You can never really tell if the person giving advice knows much on this forum unless you've been around a while and memorize people's avatars and by that time you have already heard most of the rehash. It's too bad there isn't a brew count instead of post count on the user section on every post.

You can never really tell if the person giving advice knows much on this forum unless you've been around a while and memorize people's avatars and by that time you have already heard most of the rehash. It's too bad there isn't a brew count instead of post count on the user section on every post.

Still comes back to honesty. A brew count can be padded, much like a post count.

Even though I don't enter contests and haven't done swaps in a while, I'm more impressed with peer review and beers that medal than "I brewed 7 magillion batches last year" type posts. Some of the best, and worst, beer I've sampled has come from the swaps and themed brews from this site.

It's hard to say who's "most" experienced. Some of us are former pro brewers, some are pros currently, some are avid homebrewers. Some people can brew Coopers kits for 20 years, but not have much knowledge about the brewing process while others can be only brewing a year and have far more technical knowledge.

I don't know how many batches I've brewed. I used to keep track, but stopped somewhere around 200. I've been making wine a long, long time (25+ years) but beer is newer and I've only been doing that for about 12 years. I know there are people that are far more knowledgeable than I am!

It's hard to say who's "most" experienced. Some of us are former pro brewers, some are pros currently, some are avid homebrewers. Some people can brew Coopers kits for 20 years, but not have much knowledge about the brewing process while others can be only brewing a year and have far more technical knowledge.

I don't know how many batches I've brewed. I used to keep track, but stopped somewhere around 200. I've been making wine a long, long time (25+ years) but beer is newer and I've only been doing that for about 12 years. I know there are people that are far more knowledgeable than I am!

I couldn't have said it better if I tried four times.

My theory is the same in any profession or hobby; you can be doing something for 20+ years and run into someone who has done it half as long and still learn something from the "new" person. I'm not a fan of anyone who believes they never have anything new to learn or who believe they're always going to be better than someone else because they have time on their side.

It's good to be humble,but don't sell yourself short,yooper! I'm one of the privileged few around here to have tried your beers. Smooth stuff! This is one site where you learn rather quickly that you can learn something from anyone. I picked that up from the late great # 1 'caster blaster. Even he found that out.

I agree in regard to what others have said. There are a lot of people on here who have a wealth of insight. Those mentioned for sure. Several of the folks on the "Brew Science" sub forum have entertained my countless questions. Many recipes provide for tried and true starting points. When I started brewing, in the mid-late 90's, accessing info on the internet was just becoming convenient and possible. I can't imagine figuring everything out on your own.
That access to information has increased over the years, and the information I have been able to access in the past 5 years or so is just mind-blowing compared to when I started. I would say the first 75% of my homebrewing "career" I turned out marginal to "ok" beer at best. The information I have gathered from folks on this, and other, forums has allowed my beer brewing to improve many times over.
Your post did make me wonder about how many brews I have done.... I never kept particularly good notes until 2012, when I started using iBrewmaster. No idea how many I have brewed total. Pretty sure I don't want to know. But, since April 1, 2012...... I have brewed about 125 batches of beer....:drunk: Wow..... I need to get out more.

But, as mentioned - what does brewing a lot really lend? In my case, I am sure I have 100-200 batches, over the first 10 years I brewed, that really did little more that reinforce previously bad habits and processes I had from the beginning. Those 100+ batches did not make me any expert, or fit to give advice, that is for sure.

I guess, in hindsight, they allow me to recognize errors, mistakes and struggles beginners encounter - because I have personally made each of them dozens of times over. Thanks to sites like this, I figured out my major errors and problems. There are still so many details and areas of expertise out there though - It is hard to imagine ever knowing it all, that is for sure. There is definitely a wealth of knowledge here, and sites like this, podcasts, books, etc really can eliminate years of "trial and error."

I couldn't have said it better if I tried four times.

My theory is the same in any profession or hobby; you can be doing something for 20+ years and run into someone who has done it half as long and still learn something from the "new" person. I'm not a fan of anyone who believes they never have anything new to learn or who believe they're always going to be better than someone else because they have time on their side.

Absolutely!! I always view myself as a student, willing to learn from anyone and everyone. Bill Cosby told a crowd of graduates in a college commencement speech the same thing... If only I could get my son to realize this! Lol

Ive got experience in homebrewing setting and professional setting and I probably know just a small fraction about brewing (compared to the to collective knowledge on the site). Ive learned 2 important things that I can share though!

1) The hobby is only as difficult and expensive as your wife will let you make it. (Beer is super easy to make, but learning about it and all the small minute details of how to make it and why things work a certain way will never end. )

2) If you think you really have it and your the best thing ever then youll never really progress. (new technology, techniques, thoughts are changing with time. If you dont stay up you will lose out so you constantly have to learn.)

I love the posts on this thread. Such great advisors being very humble in their responses.

In comparison. I'm new to homebrewing but have learned an immense amount, both directly and indirectly from those already mentioned in this thread. Their modesty hides the fact that they are the ones belonging to the (rather long) list to answer your post.

I'm still honing my process before I really get into this homebrewing thingy.

1402361519984.jpg

its an interesting question and the answer shouldn't really have much to do with how many batches you've made if you ask me. I have probably made in excesses of 60 batches of 5 gallon or better, I dont know where or what that makes me. I have a few styles I brew regular and often but still try tweaking once in awhile for me and my brothers kegerators and then I have a brew day every so often to experiment and try new things etc. I only got back into brewing about 18 months ago and the knowledge on the forum is vast and sometimes contradictory etc. You just gotta try and see what works. Im not one to post a ton of advice or even post much at all but im on here probably 3-4 times a week min pouring over posts looking for new info. Its a tremendously valuable source and I dont hear ANY complaints from the folks who regularly come over to enjoy the beer with me so I must be doing something right. Between my fridge and kegerator I have 9 kinds of beer and a cider available right now. its a hobby I enjoy sharing with my friends, but I don't consider myself the end all be all of beer making..sorry if I got off topic..

Assuming five gallon batches, that 625 gallons of beer in nearly 800 days... Do you drink it all?

No..... not even close. I give a lot of beer away. Enter beer in comps. Brew for several "get-togethers" per year where 2-3 kegs are drained. I brew 3-4 "long term" beers per year ( sours, imperial bourbon porters), Do 5-6 "split batches" with a college friend. Also, I have no reservations about dumping or giving away "ordinary" beer to make room for something better if I need a keg and there is a gallon or two left. Same goes for experimenting and trying new things...... I will try something different from time to time for comparison purposes....if it does not come out well, then I am fine with dumping if need be.

I probably drink 1-3 pints per day on average. Wife drinks 1 a day on average probably. I have a couple "growler fillers" who are kind enough to help me out, and my basement is a regular "after work stop."

I also brew some smaller 2-3 gallon batches..... come to think of it, each batch is...... well, however many gallons adds up to 200 gallons/year:)

I think that it is about a passion to learn and a focus on improving quality. I have been to brewpubs around the country, many "professional" brewers make mediocre beer. I have drunk beers with bad water profiles, no head at all, and so astringent as to think they'd be better cleaning my pores than drunk.

I have had homebrews that were medal winners, better than some commercials. Some from brewers that don't have years of experience, but were incredible beers. But if any experienced brewers want to prove theirs are the best, PM me and I'll provide my address!

I think that it is about a passion to learn and a focus on improving quality. I have been to brewpubs around the country, many "professional" brewers make mediocre beer. I have drunk beers with bad water profiles, no head at all, and so astringent as to think they'd be better cleaning my pores than drunk.

I have had homebrews that were medal winners, better than some commercials. Some from brewers that don't have years of experience, but were incredible beers. But if any experienced brewers want to prove theirs are the best, PM me and I'll provide my address!

That bit about mediocre beer is true. Recently I was in a brewpub in Port Aransas TX. it was a small one but had some nice equipment in it.. The beer was not good and I tried em all. Im no judge or anything but there wasn't one that was good in its style IMHO. I said to my wife here is an example of having the right equipment but not having enough care to make it good. Im afraid that with the popularity of brew pubs growing people are going to open them and just throw some ingredients together etc.

Knowing the science and putting it into regular practice are different things. I know people who don't really understand what goes on chemically and biologically, but they turn out great beer all the time. They have a process that works and they use it a lot.

Then you got people like me, who try to study and figure everything out, but never get consistent. At some point I will have my system built and then I can start focusing on that very important part.

Since I started keeping records in 2000.

46 batches
A touch over 400 gallons

A did eight batches last year, and am on track to do probably twelve batches this year.

I'm a hobbyist - not an experienced brewer. I make good beer, but most pro's make more in a day than I have in a lifetime.

I know some stuff

True, and Denny told me once he had well over 400 AG batches! You yourself have a wealth of experience also!
I remember Denny's emails on HBD, so I could easily believe that. I really stopped counting a long time ago. For whatever it's worth, I've been brewing 19 years. Started with partial-wort boil extract on the stove top and am currently doing all grain 10 gallon batches (although I do have capacity to do bigger batches, but I don't have the temp-controlled fermentation space).

In years I don't have many. In education, I'm a voracious reader and have brewed with professionals on their systems many times. I also have a lot of hours drinking beer and talking with professional brewers in my "curriculum".

In practical experience, not counting batches brewed with others/on others' equipment, I have 80 homebrew batches to my credit. I only keep track because my HBT signature makes it simple!

I like this thread because it's one thing to talk a big game, but it's important to know that when you get advice from someone like Yooper (for example) you're getting sage advice born of experience...and it will help make you a better brewer. Thanks to Yoop and so many others here who've helped me. To newer brewers, I encourage you to actively seek the help of these great teachers...but also be careful and thoughtful before acting on advice from those who's backgrounds you may not know.:mug:

That bit about mediocre beer is true. Recently I was in a brewpub in Port Aransas TX. it was a small one but had some nice equipment in it.. The beer was not good and I tried em all. Im no judge or anything but there wasn't one that was good in its style IMHO. I said to my wife here is an example of having the right equipment but not having enough care to make it good. Im afraid that with the popularity of brew pubs growing people are going to open them and just throw some ingredients together etc.

Oh, Port A's beer sucks. Bad. I wanted to like it, as it's the only brewpub around when I'm in the area (I live there for two months in the winter), but they have really bad beer in all styles. It's a combination of water chemistry and poor yeast health, but there isn't a beer there that I can drink.

I began home brewing in 1997/1998. So that is at least 16 years. I, however, consider myself a newbie. I say that because up until perhaps two years ago I considered myself "just a home brewer". Home brewing was just a hobby, not a passion back then. Yes, I invested in the equipment. Yes, I read the books and websites. Yes, I designed my own recipes. Yes, I was stoked to brew my own beers. But, I never really got any enjoyment out of it as it seemed more like a chore than anything. That is probably because I mainly brewed IPAs and APAs with the occasional wit, cream ale, or scottish ale thrown in. When I went out to a bar or purchased beer from a store, yup, IPAs. Well, I am know totally burnt on IPAs and if I ever see or hear about a "C" hop or Chico yeast again I'll puke.

So about two years ago I had my first alt, then my first helles, then a weizersnifchel of some sort. I was immediately stoked that beers that were not wrecking my palate could taste so darn good. I tried brewing a couple of alts and helles at home. They were okay. They tasted like "home-brew". I was disappointed, then it hit me: my whole system and knowledge base were geared towards IPAs. I got into decoction mashes and Munich malt, pH and building water profiles, krausening and not being afraid of 6-row or Cluster hops.

With that I feel like I am just now getting into this whole home-brew thing. I might even join a local club.

Let's see, in the 4ish years I've been at it, I've brewed about 100 batches, with all but maybe 10 of those all grain. I think I brew some good stuff, I think I know what I'm doing, and I like learning the science behind it, but I'd never suggest that I know all there is to know, far far from it.

I've been at it for roughly three years, have 20+ batches of AG and 8 extract batches. I wouldn't even come close to qualifying for most experienced. However, the denizens of this site are an excellent source of knowledge, and I would still be producing crap batches without the help from threads on the forum.

I've started dabbling in lager land last year, with good results. I began growing hops and tried some DIY projects with inspiration from HBT. I'm trying to nail down some house recipes and moved away from some of the weird crap I started out with. I feel like I'm always re-evaluating my process, and the slight improvements I make with equipment and processes are all evolving the brews I make. All this thanks to HBTers experience shared here.

There's always more to learn, and there's always someone who knows vast amounts more, and this forum is an excellent learning tool for all brewers.

I've been at it for roughly three years, have 20+ batches of AG and 8 extract batches. I wouldn't even come close to qualifying for most experienced. However, the denizens of this site are an excellent source of knowledge, and I would still be producing crap batches without the help from threads on the forum.

I've started dabbling in lager land last year, with good results. I began growing hops and tried some DIY projects with inspiration from HBT. I'm trying to nail down some house recipes and moved away from some of the weird crap I started out with. I feel like I'm always re-evaluating my process, and the slight improvements I make with equipment and processes are all evolving the brews I make. All this thanks to HBTers experience shared here.

There's always more to learn, and there's always someone who knows vast amounts more, and this forum is an excellent learning tool for all brewers.

I'm also constantly learning about brewing. Love the process, constructing recipes, generally trying to make better beer.

Like Bill Cosby said, you can learn from anyone/everyone!

I'm also constantly learning about brewing. Love the process, constructing recipes, generally trying to make better beer.

Like Bill Cosby said, you can learn from anyone/everyone!

There's always something new to learn.

Out of curiosity, anybody else have a recipe in the Cat's Meow database? I was a little surprised to see it's still out there.

http://www.brewery.org/cm3/recs/05_127.html

Most experienced? I dunno and we may never really find out. Having said that, there are two peeps that I trust on this forum and have learned a lot from, Revvi and Yooper. I think being able to take experience and and take the time to relay it to us noob's in a clear, helpful way has got to be worth at least a mention.

As far as the most experienced, well, I've done two all grain batches now. Not one, but two batches! Boom!

Back