White spots "Thank you"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Brewing a 5gal batch of American Wheat for the past week. Came home today and checked on it. Oh crap, little white "mold" spots floating at the top along with some yeast. Damn it, batch is ruined. It was only my 3rd batch I've made since starting this hobby.

Wait, what have I learned, sit back, take a deep breath and have a beer. Started to search the site to see what it could be. Searched "white spots" Bingo, Co2, that's it. Nothing to worry about.

Just wanted to drop a note you everyone here that helps new brewers like me saying Thanks. If it wasn't for this site and the knowledge that the members share, I would of tossed good beer down the drain.

Thanks again.

You're welcome! Most of the time, unless there are hairy "legs" and strings attached, it's fine. Even if it IS mold, that's ok, too. Just rack from under the mold. Beer is very resilient, thank goodness!

Ahhhh! (Big sigh of relief) My krausen just fell after over 1 week of crazy fermentation, (honey and blueberries), and I too was tripping out over the white spots I saw, but now I feel better. If it does turn out to be mold, what's the best way to avoid getting it into secondary? Rack down and leave about an inch of beer on top of the cake?

I was just looking at my Dry Stout in my secondary carboy this morning and saw those same white spots.

Wasn't sure what they were, but thought it might be CO2 being released.

Glad to hear that's the case! :)

Yeah you should have seen my latest experimental batch (a Licorice Stout) that overflowed. The lid became inundated with blue-green molds. The beer inside was fine. I have had black mold covered airlocks as well with no troubles.

I have had as well from time to time, stuff that looks kind of like what ice looks like broken up in the ocean. At least that's the best I can describe it. White translucent 'flakes' if you will on the surface. They never produced any off flavors or troubles, I have no clue what they were.

I have had as well from time to time, stuff that looks kind of like what ice looks like broken up in the ocean. At least that's the best I can describe it. White translucent 'flakes' if you will on the surface. They never produced any off flavors or troubles, I have no clue what they were

I just peeked in on my Pale Ale that has been cold crashing for week now- and I've got these same flakes. Perhaps coagulated hop oils? Beer tastes damn fine, too.

I just peeked in on my Pale Ale that has been cold crashing for week now- and I've got these same flakes. Perhaps coagulated hop oils? Beer tastes damn fine, too.

It's possibly something like that. I am not certain but I *think* I seem to get them with the hoppier styles but I am not sure.

Back