White Specks - Seeds, Yeast, Mold?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I always appreciate the help I get from people here. I have another question.

This is an extract kit (Pale Ale), with a little extra DME. Was in the primary (bucket) for about three weeks, and has been in the secondary for two. I put an ounce of Cascade whole leaf hops in when I racked it over.

Just now, I noticed these white specks. They may have been there before, but I didn't notice them. I searched the forum, and most people seem to say "white specks" are yeast. That may be... but it seems odd, as they are in and on top of the hop leafs. Could they be seeds? Is it possible this is a mold of some sort?

Thanks!

Mark

IMG_0023a.jpg

Lupulin is basically the pollen of the hop which has most of the acids, oils and all the deliciousness in the hops.
You don't notice it in pellet hops because the cones have been pulverized.

Lupulin is basically the pollen of the hop which has most of the acids, oils and all the deliciousness in the hops.
You don't notice it in pellet hops because the cones have been pulverized.

OK, thanks. I was googling it as we speak. Anyway, I'm still not sure what those white specks are. So far I seem to be reading the seeds are not all that common on commercial whole leaf hops sold for brewing (not sure why, something about female v male). I just can't figure what else it is, or why I didn't notice if before (there's a lot of them)....

Cones come from females. On hop farms male plants are sort of quarantined and their sole purpose is in making hybrids. They don't get to play with the female cones.

Wow, I really love how some people can work with digital images. Anyway, the yellow dots. The white ones are actually on the outside of the carboy. I think they might be left over specs of whatever cleaning powder I used (I cleaned the inside good but maybe a little wet cleaner on the outside didn't come off and dried). It's the yellow looking ones that I was asking about.

I get those seeds with my organic leaf hops-sometimes/they suck with bottleling spigots.I have got some of them stuck in my bottleing wand, making it keep dripping heavily/running between bottleing.Try to avoid them into the bottleing bucket.I think they are generally something to avoid but harmless but can be a nusicance with bottleing.Once one of them gets into your bottleing wand,it will make it drip or keep going heavily after pulling it from the bottle,so beware.
White dots are just from the yeast/trub or whatever- i get it all the time.Normal.
Hops are antibacterial-so that is kinda their schtick,white specks just yeast bits. Fuzzy,flakey? Then you may have some problems.
Your beer looks great! You have an army of whole hops on top to further protect it! Rack and carb it when its done! Youll love it.

Latest posts

Back