White Labs WLP002 English Ale Washing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstorm1121

Reaction score
I recently used a vial of White Labs WLP002 English Ale yeast in a Summit Winter Ale Clone that I made. I pitched the yeast directly into my primary (no starter) and it worked just fine. I was a little worried, because the yeast was very chunky (almost like cottage cheese) no matter how much I shook it in the vial. But, as it usually does, it fermented just fine.

I just moved the batch to the secondary and washed the yeast. Not surpisingly, the yeast cake had the same consistancy (chunky, cottage cheesy) when I mixed the cold, previously boiled water with it.

The problem is, the yeast settled off right away, which didn't allow me to poor it off and leave the trub, like I was able to successfully do when I washed Wyeast American Ale 2 from my recent wheat brew.

Now, after it has been sitting in my fridge for 24 hours, it appears that i have a nice quantity of yeast at the bottom of my three jars, and then a small layer of trub on top. Maybe I will be able to post some pictures to this thread later.

Does anyone have an experience like this?

I haven't really been able to separate WLP002 from the trub too well - at least, not in any quantity (you can always culture a small, pure amount from active wort). It is very flocculent, as it clumps together a lot. That's what's responsible for the clumpy texture. It also makes very clear beer, very quickly.

I've just pitched the yeast before without worrying about a small amount of trub. Just make a starter from it to minimize the amount, and get healthy yeast going. I've used it after three months in the fridge this way.

Latest posts

Back