White Labs Pure Pitch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I got a packet of WLP001 (dated 08/29/17) with a Pliny kit. I've used White Lab before, but it's always been in the plastic vial. This came in their new Pure Pitch pouch.

When I was ready to add the yeast to my starter yesterday, I cut the corner off the pouch and poured it into my flask, but all that came out was a little bit of clear liquid.

I looked at the pouch closer and realized there was an inner pouch that I hadn't cut. I cut more off the packet, exposing the yeast. It was a very thick slurry, almost like a paste. I literally had to roll up the pouch and squeeze it out like toothpaste.

Is that typical for Pure Pitch? And was the clear liquid between the two pouches a yeast nutrient or at least meant to be pitched with the yeast? The instructions don't say much more than warm to room temperature and pitch.

12 hours in on the starter (on a stir plate) and it is bubbling with a small layer of foam on top. I just want to make sure this is normal for Pure Pitch - I don't want to spend the time or money on a batch of Pliny and then pitch bad yeast.

Thanks for your help!

It's good. I did the same thing when I first used a Pure Pitch. I believe its the same concept as a Wyeast Smack Pack. You can burst that little sack and shake the contents together before pitching. It helps get it all out easier when you do it correctly, but if you got it all in there, it is good to go. Cheers!

Hi,

I got a packet of WLP001 (dated 08/29/17) with a Pliny kit. I've used White Lab before, but it's always been in the plastic vial. This came in their new Pure Pitch pouch.

When I was ready to add the yeast to my starter yesterday, I cut the corner off the pouch and poured it into my flask, but all that came out was a little bit of clear liquid.

I looked at the pouch closer and realized there was an inner pouch that I hadn't cut. I cut more off the packet, exposing the yeast. It was a very thick slurry, almost like a paste. I literally had to roll up the pouch and squeeze it out like toothpaste.

Is that typical for Pure Pitch? And was the clear liquid between the two pouches a yeast nutrient or at least meant to be pitched with the yeast? The instructions don't say much more than warm to room temperature and pitch.

12 hours in on the starter (on a stir plate) and it is bubbling with a small layer of foam on top. I just want to make sure this is normal for Pure Pitch - I don't want to spend the time or money on a batch of Pliny and then pitch bad yeast.

Thanks for your help!

The clean liquid must have leaked from the inner packet as it's nutrient and should be pitched with the yeast. I still prefer their old vials, but here's how I pitch their packets:
- Wait until the wort is down to about 68 F for ales
- Sanitize the packet and scissors with StarSan
- Shake thoroughly to mix up the yeast and nutrient
- Cut only the outer packet and remove the inner packet
- Make sure all of the liquid and yeast it towards the bottom of the inner packet
- Cut off the very top of the inner packet and pour everything into the fermenter
- To squeeze every last bit out, start at the bottom and roll the packet up tightly like a toothpaste tube

I don't believe there is a separate nutrient in a Pure Pitch pack. The video shows that they grow the yeast right in the pack then seal it into smaller packs then separate the individual packs.

I have only used one and found it thick as described. I complained about it in this forum. The consensus is to shake the yeast well to loosen it before cutting open the pack.

You should be fine...and if for some reason it doesn't take off, you could use some S-05 if you have some, or buy another and pitch it.

What I do with mine is first remove it from the fridge and let it sit on the counter for an hour or so. I'll move it 2 or 3 times to let it warm up. Then I'll shake it to ensure I'm liquifying everything. Sounds like you didn't do that.

When it's warmed up and shaken, it all pours out for me. Just used two of those last weekend and both were dated, I think, June 2017. Warmed them, shook them, sanitized the packet and the scissors, cut the entire top off, and poured them in.

Going like gangbusters today, 2 1/2 days after pitching.

Well, it sounds like I should be fine. Although it does sound like the inner pouch must have leaked on mine if everything should have been in the inner pouch.

I followed my usual routine, sanitizing the pouch, scissors, etc. And I did shake it before I pitched it, but trust me, with most of the liquid in the outer pouch, there was no way to shake up the thick yeast slurry.

I'm sure I left a few billion cells in the packet, but I did a 1.5 liter starter, on a stir plate, so it should be fine. Beer Smith says I need right around 300B cells in the starter for Pliny"s 1.070 SG.

Wyeast is normally my go to yeast, but they were out so I went with the White Lab. I think I'll be sticking with Wyeast.

Thanks for your help!

Well, it sounds like I should be fine. Although it does sound like the inner pouch must have leaked on mine if everything should have been in the inner pouch.

I followed my usual routine, sanitizing the pouch, scissors, etc. And I did shake it before I pitched it, but trust me, with most of the liquid in the outer pouch, there was no way to shake up the thick yeast slurry.

I'm sure I left a few billion cells in the packet, but I did a 1.5 liter starter, on a stir plate, so it should be fine. Beer Smith says I need right around 300B cells in the starter for Pliny"s 1.070 SG.

Wyeast is normally my go to yeast, but they were out so I went with the White Lab. I think I'll be sticking with Wyeast.

Thanks for your help!

What I've found is if it's refrigerated, it's pretty thick inside the pouch. Only after I've warmed it to pitching temps does it seem to thin. The WYEAST packages have a lot more liquid in them, especially after smacking the internal packet of nutrients.

FWIW, I had a WL packet in August, can't remember the strain, where nothing I did seemed to loosen it up. I pitched it in as a sort of gloppy thing, and it did not look "normal" based on my prior experience with these packets.

I even posted about that; the response was RDWHAHB. Good advice. The yeast took off as per usual, and the beer is great.

as said above:
1) let warm to pitch temp
2) shake it well
3) sanitize, cut, pour
I also tend to rinse it out with some wort if there appears to be yeast sludge still in the packet at this point

The pure pitch have a lot less liquid in them. The clear liquid between the inner and outer pack is condensation. What I do is carefully cut off the top of the outer pack. I then remove the inner pack and kneed it with my fingers to mix if it has settled at all. This depend more on if it was stored on end, or its side. once it is to room temp, I cut off the end and squeeze it out.

Back