White Labs Pure Pitch cell count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VT-NAV

Reaction score
Curiously missing from all descriptions of the new Pure Pitch yeast products from White Labs is the cell count per bag.

Northern Brewer has begun offering several strains in this new packaging; however, its not clear if we're getting the same amount of yeast previously packaged in the White Labs vials.

The White Labs website does not specify on the portions of the page dedicated to Pure Pitch, and what data there is about cell counts seems to be about the old vials. I asked the question at Northern Brewer, but do not yet have an answer.

Anyone know?

You got me curious, so I looked in to it. The following is from the white labs website. Essentially the pure pitch packaging has a higher cell density than the vial.

"What sizes are available?
PurePitch is available to order in the same sizes you are used to seeing. The exception is that the Nano, 1bbl, and 2bbl pitchable sizes will be consolidated into one PurePitch Nano size (500ml). The PurePitch package will be available in 500ml, 1.5L and 2L professional sizes, which will be combined to make up our prior pitchable sizes. Some of these packages may seem smaller to you, but that’s because we’ve been able to provide a more consistently concentrated yeast package, delivering 2.5 billion cells per milliliter of slurry."

Yeah, but that's for professional sizes.

The new homebrew-sized are far smaller than 500ml.

Assuming the product is the same as the professional version only in a smaller package, a bag size of 50ml would provide approximately the same cell count as a vial.

I would have thought this pure pitch thing would be relatively big news on HBT, but I haven't seen anyone else mention it.

We toured the White Labs facility during NHC this year. We were told that the PurePitch for homebrewers would contain slightly more than a vial did. When pressed, they could not give us an exact cell count. Based on what we were shown, what we were able to handle and talking to several of their employees during NHC, I left believing that we would see roughly .5% to 1% more slurry as compared to the vials.

Yes, the cell counts were for a nano size but from what I know about the pure pitch process the yeast is cultured in the same packaging it is shipped in. Based on this it is very likely that the cell density per mililiter would hold pretty closely to the home-brew size versus a seperate propagation and packaging into vials.

Awhile back (like a year or more ago), Brad Smith did a whole interview with Chris White on this new packaging. I remember listening to it at the time and thinking it sounded neat (if a little thin, content-wise, for a full podcast episode). You could seek that out and listen to it if you wanted. Then again, who knows if everything he was saying back then fully translated into the final product in the marketplace.

EDIT: To add, I see to remember that it was more about improved quality/viability/shelf-life of the yeast than increased cell count.

EDIT: To add, I see to remember that it was more about improved quality/viability/shelf-life of the yeast than increased cell count.

I remember that interview as well, if I remember correctly, White was saying that the shelf life was going to be extended by a fraction as well. Perhaps giving an additional 2 months over the viability of the vials.

We toured the White Labs facility during NHC this year. We were told that the PurePitch for homebrewers would contain slightly more than a vial did. When pressed, they could not give us an exact cell count. Based on what we were shown, what we were able to handle and talking to several of their employees during NHC, I left believing that we would see roughly .5% to 1% more slurry as compared to the vials.

We toured White Labs as part of the Soper Tour, not NHC. ;) :p

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but does any one know the cell death rate for the purepitch packaging? obviously there are yeast calcs for vials etc but if these have longer viability/more cells then surely it'll be different

Back