White labs American Ale sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ivypunx

Reaction score
It almost completely takes over what ever beer you do. I have tried it a few times and I am not a fan. Especially for pales. Just putting the warning out there.

I appreciate the warning, as I was drooling over their list the other day and wouldn't want to get the wrong one.

Can you explain the manner in which it takes over?

Not sure what you mean by 'takes over' every beer you make?

Do you mean that every beer you brew regardless of grain bill tastes the same when using this yeast? Sorry but that's not the yeast, it's something in your process or water profile.

001 is the same as 05 or 1056, a clean Amercan Ale yeast or Chico Strain. It's a strain I use frequently as many others do and I can tell you that not one of my beers using this strain taste the same;)

Not to sound like the creepy follower of duboman, but he is right. White labs doesn't take over "every beer do". In fact, it does what I think it should do when I use it. I don't have any beer that tastes the same from one to the next. I'd look at your water as that's a true constant in brewing if you're using the same source.

Is this what you're talking about? If so, I've never used it, so I cannot comment. But according to WL, it does appear to be a little less neutral than WLP001 (WY1056/US-05, I.e., "Chico"), but being that it's designed to let the hops shine, I can't imagine it would impart much flavor.

Not sure what you mean by 'takes over' every beer you make?

Do you mean that every beer you brew regardless of grain bill tastes the same when using this yeast? Sorry but that's not the yeast, it's something in your process or water profile.

001 is the same as 05 or 1056, a clean Amercan Ale yeast or Chico Strain. It's a strain I use frequently as many others do and I can tell you that not one of my beers using this strain taste the same;)

NO, I mean every beer I do with THAT yeast gets the same off flavor. I use all kinds of yeast for all kinds of beer. That strain sucks. hahahaha

Is this what you're talking about? If so, I've never used it, so I cannot comment. But according to WL, it does appear to be a little less neutral than WLP001 (WY1056/US-05, I.e., "Chico"), but being that it's designed to let the hops shine, I can't imagine it would impart much flavor.

American ale II works really well. And good ole 1056. I have never had any luck with American ale. I have used it in a I have even run two identical batches and pitched it next to american ale 1056 and it is a very noticeable difference. Im not using it any more. Nothing against white labs though, they have a lot of good strains

NO, I mean every beer I do with THAT yeast gets the same off flavor.

Unless your using it totally wrong (no starter, way too high/low ferment temps), the yeast isn't giving you off flavors. I'd look to some other ingredient/process. That's about as neutral of a yeast as there is...

NO, I mean every beer I do with THAT yeast gets the same off flavor. I use all kinds of yeast for all kinds of beer. That strain sucks. hahahaha

Then you're not using it properly......haha, whatever that's supposed to mean:confused:

Sent from the Commune

Unless your using it totally wrong (no starter, way too high/low ferment temps), the yeast isn't giving you off flavors. I'd look to some other ingredient/process. That's about as neutral of a yeast as there is...

Again, it just comes from THAT YEAST. I ferment it right on the cold side. 68-70 of the recommended 68-72. It isnt a very unless I am some how tipping the vile upside down to pitch the yeast some wrong way, its the yeast

What sort of flavors are you getting? I assume any flavors would be coming from the non-WLP001 strains in the blend.

Again, it just comes from THAT YEAST. I ferment it right on the cold side. 68-70 of the recommended 68-72. It isnt a very unless I am some how tipping the vile upside down to pitch the yeast some wrong way, its the yeast

If you are "tipping the vile upside down" directly over the carboy, then some might consider that the "wrong way." You should make a starter.

And, depending on how you measure your temps, 70* could add to the problem.

you guys are freakin me out. Im brewing my second brew today Dead Ringer IPA. I'm using WL001. I made a starter yesterday. Its chugging right along. I was supposed to use Wyeast 1056 but I messed up making the starter. made an emergency run to LHBS for a replacement and got 001 on advice from this forum Hope I didnt blow it

you guys are freakin me out. Im brewing my second brew today Dead Ringer IPA. I'm using WL001. I made a starter yesterday. Its chugging right along. I was supposed to use Wyeast 1056 but I messed up making the starter. made an emergency run to LHBS for a replacement and got 001 on advice from this forum Hope I didnt blow it

You're fine. Many people use this yeast and do just fine.

OP, how do you measure your temps? If you're using anything that is taking the temp from the side of the carboy/bucket, then you can bet it's hotter in the center than 70. May want to try and drop that down a smidgen.

Like many others, I've used 001, 1056 and 05. 001 is not a 'pitch ready' yeast for most beers. I've found that anything over 1.50 needs a starter. Also, 70 is high for that yeast. I normally start at about 66 and warm it up to 68-69 at the end of fermentation.

Can anyone tell me if having produced my liter of 001 starter yesterday, is TODAY at halftime too soon to pitch it? Making dead ringer. My starter looks great lots of bubbles and foam. frequent hand strirring. looses foil cap.

Can anyone tell me if having produced my liter of 001 starter yesterday, is TODAY at halftime too soon to pitch it? Making dead ringer. My starter looks great lots of bubbles and foam. frequent hand strirring. looses foil cap.

Yeah, you'll be good to go.

You will be fine. I use the 001 all of the time. I always do my starter 24-hours in advance.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

I agree, WLP001 is a very good, neutral yeast, no issues and I have used it like 10 times.

24 hours should be just fine for a starter, you are good to go

Rick

This is a funny topic because getting mad at 001 is like saying a toyota camry is a crap car, or cash is a bad gift. Sure, there are crazier things out there and yeasts that are more fun, but you cant get mad at a homebrew staple like 001.

1) fermenting at 70 too way too high for 001, Ive used it over 20 times and 66 is perfect

2) make a starter. 001 doesnt behave that well in bigger beers without a starter.

I always get amused at the "X yeast/malt/hop/etc sucks because it didn't work good for me." It is especially funny when it is being said of something that is a staple for so many others. It is easy to see the problem. If it works for thousands of others but doesn't work for one individual it is irrational to think the problem is not with the one individual for whom it didn't work.

Wouldn't it make more sense to make a thread that says, "White Labs American Ale yeast did not work well for me," or "I don't like White Labs American Ale yeast"? But of course you can post what you want.

It is obvious the problem is your procedure.

There seems to be a lot of commenting on this thread about WLP001 (I.e., 1056/US-05/"Chico"). However, I'm pretty sure the OP is not using that strain. WLP001 is California Ale. He said he was using White Labs American Ale, which would be WLP060. This should not be confused with Wyeast American Ale, which everyone knows is 1056.

The scoop on WLP060 American Ale Blend from the White Labs website:

WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend

Our most popular yeast strain is WLP001, California Ale Yeast. This blend celebrates the strengths of California- clean, neutral fermentation, versatile usage, and adds two other strains that belong to the same 'clean/neutral' flavor category. The additional strains create complexity to the finished beer. This blend tastes more lager like than WLP001. Hop flavors and bitterness are accentuated, but not to the extreme of California. Slight sulfur will be produced during fermentation.

Edited as I have no idea what yeast the OP is even talking about.

\o/ I feel the same way. THAT YEAST = WLP???

Say it! Spell it out for us! Which yeast strain are you referring too? WLP...? Which number?

Now, just emptying out a single vial of any White Lab yeast over 5 gallons of wort without making a starter instead, is not recommended. There are just not enough yeast cells for a healthy fermentation in a vial. And yes, you may actually taste that flaw.

I think OP might be yanking our chain on this one. It doesn't really seem like a serious post.

I assume the OP is referring to WLP060 American Ale Blend. 001 is California Ale.

I have not used this blend myself, but according to Mr. Malty it includes the SF lager strain. Lager strains tend to prone to sulfur production, which could be the off-flavor OP indicates. The relevant question is then how long the OP has conditioned the beers before drinking them.

Latest posts

Back