White head/bubbles on top of fermenting beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexcasta5

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to the group and just brewed my first batch of beer. Tomorrow marks 2 weeks my beer has been fermenting. However I noticed that my beer has a white head/bubbles on the surface. Don’t know if my beer is still not done fermenting or if something else is going on. If anyone has some info it be much appreciated thanks!

Attachments

• 355F0F70-CF22-42FD-92DD-B6DBE109364D.jpeg
    355F0F70-CF22-42FD-92DD-B6DBE109364D.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 128
It looks like carbon dioxide coming out of solution or a fermentation that's winding down. Nothing I would be concerned with at this point.

Take all the usual precautions, though - use hyrdometer readings to determine if/when it's done fermenting and taste the samples. That will alert you to any off-flavors or potential infections.

Thank you for the reply ! Sadly, i don’t have a hydrometer I was Jaír going based off the beer recipe that said wait two weeks before bottling. Tomorrow was going to be the two well mark however, i don’t know whether to just wait a couple more days. My plan was just to force carbonate in my U-keg once it was ready. Just want to to what steps i should take given that i do not have a hydrometer.

The fermenter looks fairly normal for a fermentation nearing its end, but it does look like it's not quite quiet yet.
While you could likely get away with kegging it now it might be prudent to give it a few more days and see if the last of the krausen sinks...

Cheers!

Noted, I will wait a couple of days before I transfer the beer Into the U-keg. I was just getting nervous because I am about to hit the two week mark and there was still some activity. I just want to ensure the beer is not rushed so I agree it’s best to be prudent!

What did the recipe predict for the original Specific Gravity?
And what yeast strain did you use?
Finally, what temperature did you run this fermentation?

Cheers!

So It was a one gallon Brussels Blonde beer recipe from brooklyn brew shop. It stated
That after transferring the wort into one gallon beer jug to store at room temperature in a dark place. The beer has been in my closet in the living room. However, it has been difficult to control the temperature do to it being really hot recently. I’ve been running my air conditioner in the living room to cool down the house. Currently the closet I which my beer is in sits at about 77-78 degrees which I know is a little high for the temperature. But I don’t know what to do to lower it. That’s why I asked of it my beer looked normal because I know temperature has been an issue. So any advice ! I’m all ears ! Just want my first brew to come out okay !

So It was a one gallon Brussels Blonde beer recipe from brooklyn brew shop. It stated
That after transferring the wort into one gallon beer jug to store at room temperature in a dark place. The beer has been in my closet in the living room. However, it has been difficult to control the temperature do to it being really hot recently. I’ve been running my air conditioner in the living room to cool down the house. Currently the closet I which my beer is in sits at about 77-78 degrees which I know is a little high for the temperature. But I don’t know what to do to lower it. That’s why I asked of it my beer looked normal because I know temperature has been an issue. So any advice ! I’m all ears ! Just want my first brew to come out okay !
Also, it didn’t say what kind of yeast it was in the description it just stated that it was highly tolerant of a wide range of conditions including alcohol levels and ambient temperatures.

Ok, I just chatted with a Brooklyn rep (so spooky when they pop up on the screen :)) and they ship a "basic ale yeast" with that kit - no bugs involved - that can handle up to 75°F without getting weird. Could be any of many "generic ale" strains available to breakers/kitters.

So I'd say unless you're in a hurry I'd still let it ride a couple/few more days then keg...

Cheers!

Wow you are a Godsend will be definitely coming to you if i have anymore questions ! But yea I am in no rush I want the beer to do it’s thing. I was just worried about the temperature because I know that that plays big role in beer flavor. And keeping the temperature steady has been a little difficult. That’s what I wanted
To see whether it would be best to just transfer or wait it out. It I will take your word and wait to see what happens.

On another note any recommendation for how to help keep my beer a fair temperature for the future. I’ll will be doing more one gallon brews for practice. So far temp has been an issue for me given I do t really have a place to store that help me keep the temperature and at ideal level.

Put your carboy in an ice chest with water. Throw a frozen bottle of water or ice pack in from time to time as needed to keep the temperature down.

Standing the fermenter in a large plastic tub filled with just a bit less water than what would cause the fermenter to float and tossing in frozen soda bottles filled with water as needed as mentioned earlier is a practical low-tech/low-cost method of keeping fermentation temperatures inside the recommended range for the strain.

That's more effective - assuming the frozen bottle supply keeps up - than the "wet tee shirt plus box fan" method, which is usually good for a ~5°F drop vs doing nothing...

Cheers!

All the above regarding cooling your beer is great advice. I have 6 1.5L water bottles that I rotate 3 at a time to keep my fermentation temps down (you might want to also consider brewing more in cooler months).

Since you don't have a hydrometer, I'd wait at least another 1-2 weeks before bottling/kegging. This will give fermentation a chance to finish as well as allow any off-flavors to (hopefully) get cleaned up by the yeast.

The more you brew, the more you'll get to know your system. Keep at it.

All the above regarding cooling your beer is great advice. I have 6 1.5L water bottles that I rotate 3 at a time to keep my fermentation temps down (you might want to also consider brewing more in cooler months).

Since you don't have a hydrometer, I'd wait at least another 1-2 weeks before bottling/kegging. This will give fermentation a chance to finish as well as allow any off-flavors to (hopefully) get cleaned up by the yeast.

The more you brew, the more you'll get to know your system. Keep at it.
So keep my 1 gallon beer jug in a bucket with cold water bottles to keep the temp down correct ? Just want to make sure I getting this down right !

Hey guys I’m back ! So tomorrow will mark 3 weeks my beer has been fermenting. And like I want to hear some input on whether I should wait another couple of days or go for it tomorrow.

I checked on the beer today and there is small amounts of bubbles around the rim however, I did notice some white clear bubbles still on the top of the beer. I attached a picture please let know what you guys think thanks !

Attachments

• A9D746F3-3412-4F1F-A640-42A69F9DEFE5.jpeg
    A9D746F3-3412-4F1F-A640-42A69F9DEFE5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 25
Yea I was fermenting at above 70 degrees thank you for the response. Guess that why I’ll be doing tomorrow !

Back