White Gunk in Airlock...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bredler

Reaction score
I have noticed a faint off-smell lately when checking my mead...and today I noticed that there is some white gunk that looks like snot in the airlock.

So a couple questions:
-What is this?
-Will it harm my mead?
-Is the smell probably coming from this or probably from my mead?
:confused:

I would replace the airlock immediately. What do you have in the airlock? Water? Vodka? I use starsan or vodka.

I would replace the airlock immediately. What do you have in the airlock? Water? Vodka? I use starsan or vodka.

Water, but that was my thoughts as well. Refilling it with vodka asap.

Will do. I'll give it a hard scrubbing and use some sanitizer and HOT water.

Also, while I've got you here; activity in the airlock is zero now. I only have two fermentation/aging vessels and I wanted to start up another batch of mead. What are your thoughts about aging in the bottle vs aging bulk?

The smaller the container, the faster the aging process occurs. If it's done, my inclination would be to get it in bottles and make another batch.

The smaller the container, the faster the aging process occurs. If it's done, my inclination would be to get it in bottles and make another batch.

Thanks! Ha, I thought that name was familiar...then I looked next to me on the desk and saw it on written this book about mead or something...I don't think that guy can spell very well ;). Just kidding, great book! Thanks for the chime-in.

Back