White film on 1 gallon all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ludesbrews

Reaction score
All,

I usually do 5 gallons but my buddy and I wanted to try a 1 gallon gose by Brooklyn brew shop.

We mashed, sparged, and put the lactobacillus pill in the wort. We let it sit for 4-5 days, and now we have this.

Any ideas??

IMG_5110.JPG

Any help greatly appreciate

The film is called a pellicle. It indicates the presence of wild yeast and/or bacteria.
This most likely means there's some sort of contamination since Lactobacillus rarely if ever forms a pellicle.

Check the specific gravity with a hydrometer to make sure it hasn't dropped.
If you have a pH meter, check the pH. It should be sour if you followed reasonable instructions.

At this point you should proceed with the boil and rest of the process.

[emoji1303] thank you. Started the boil and it smells GREAT. I figure if it was any huge issue, I would know.
Yep, sounds good!

FYI if you plan to make more quick sours, there are easier methods, without as much contamination risk.
Kettle souring is a relic from when brewers used wild cultures to sour. The Lacto cultures we have now (L plantarum) are much easier to use and don't require that level of precaution.

Cheers

Last edited:
Back