White Espresso

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

head

Reaction score
I'm thinking about using white espresso in a brew soon, I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it? Would it be a bad addition to a RIS?

Ok from the little I have read...it sound like it would be AMAZING in a porter or stout...or even a brown ale.

Apparently it is more nutty and contains no roasty flavors. Sound fantastic in a nut brown ale!

I suspect the addition of the condensed milk to make the coffee white would have a detrimental effect on the beer over time.

Perhaps this brew is better left blended in the pint?

Edit: Ahhhh. Under roasted beans then. Maybe not so bad. Generally, white coffes indicate the addition of milk products.

I suspect the addition of the condensed milk to make the coffee white would have a detrimental effect on the beer over time.

Perhaps this brew is better left blended in the pint?

Milk doesn't HAVE to be added, although many white coffees sold in coffee shops include it. From what I read it is just under-roasted coffee beans. The taste of the white coffee without milk is more like a "Nut Tea" or like peanut juice than what we think of as coffee.

Edit: Your edit beat me to it!

Milk doesn't have to be added. From what I read it is just under-roasted coffee beans. The taste of the white coffee without milk is more like a "Nut Tea" or like peanut juice than what we think of as coffee.

In before the edit but submitted after? I think you've opened a paradox.

You've got it right with the under-roasted espresso beans(no milk). I know the owner of a small coffee stand who sells it. She says that most places don't have it because it's really hard to grind. Evidently you need a special grinder.
Anyways, so, it sounds good for a RIS? I have one that should be ready for the bottle, I've read that that's when some folks add it. What do you of vast experience think?

You've got it right with the under-roasted espresso beans(no milk). I know the owner of a small coffee stand who sells it. She says that most places don't have it because it's really hard to grind. Evidently you need a special grinder.
Anyways, so, it sounds good for a RIS? I have one that should be ready for the bottle, I've read that that's when some folks add it. What do you of vast experience think?

I have added coffee only once but with success. I added it to the secondary fermenter along with other things for the Founders Breakfast Stout clone. Adding it at bottling is the exact same thing so I would say your plan sounds great!

PS: How are you going to prepare it? I know a lot of people cold brew it in vodka to aid in sanitation (although the sanitation powers of vodka are debated). The alcohols also help extract some of the stuff in coffee that are normally available only through heated water.

I would recommend cold brewing it in the fridge for a few days, or using a french press, or just using it brewed from the coffee shop! There are many ways to do it successfully, but I recommended the vodka/fridge method since it is the only way I have done it myself!

Back