White Coffee Stout recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larkinm21

Reaction score
Ok, so I have been reading threads everyday on this forum for quite sometime and it has probably been my biggest help when it comes to brewing beer. It answers all the dumb questions i have before i actually have to ask it. but i have one today that i have been pondering for all of three seconds.

About 2.5 minutes ago I opened up the double latte stout that was from the Beer Camp 12 pack Collaboration. And at least for my palate, it it one of the most well balanced coffee stouts i have ever had... Which got me to thinking, my wife only loves coffee that has a lot of cream & sugar in it. Which led me to think a little harder on how to develop a recipe that has the taste of a coffee stout with cream and sugar added.

I was wondering how many of you have had thought this before and/or have ever developed a recipe like this that was brilliant. I have only about a years worth of brewing experience most of it being All Grain and have developed some of my own recipes, but this one has got me stumped for now. I am not one to be a crazy EXTREME brewer. I tend to stick somewhat within the style guidelines and truly just brew to my palate. But i was thinking, for this recipe to get a slight sweetness or to "mess" with the "creamer" portion of this recipe i would use coconut sugar at some point. But besides using a reliable stout recipe to start from, i really don't don't have much headway on this...

Anyone got any good thoughts, suggestions, or wisdom towards this idea?

Perhaps add lactose to secondary.

I've had good success adding Turbinado sugar to the end of the boil as well (last 10 minutes or so) and stirring. In a five gallon batch maybe 1.5lbs if she likes it on the sweet side. The lactose will give it a milky sweet taste as well.

Carton's Regular Coffee is an imperial cream ale that is supposed to taste just like regular coffee (w/ cream & sugar, in NJ slang). Not sure if there is any recipe info out there, but you might try emailing the brewery.

Gotcha... i have never come across one that had that taste before i might see if i can get my hands on that. living here in Hawaii we do get some great craft beer. But half the time it seems like we can't get the more eclectic stuff in the beer stores. for instance i have never seen any dogfish head, stone, or avery brews for sale on island. And I hunt haha

Ah, well you won't find that one. It's draft only in NJ/NY area for now. But the concept might give you some ideas at least...

nuber, thanks for the tip about Turbinado sugar, i don't know if i would have thought about it, but after looking into it, it might be just the sweetness additive i need

Turbinado sugar and most other sugars are going to fully ferment out. You would need to use lactose or another kind of unfermentable sugar to have that residual sweetness. You could also try using caramel malts and mashing at a high temperature to try and keep some sweetness in the beer.

I normally do a single temp infusion mash, but with this i would have to do a multi-rest mash wouldn't I or i would more than likely extract tannins correct? And a concern i have is that the body might would be a little fuller than i would intended, if i do mash at higher temps

Oats in the mash might add a nice creamy mouthfeel that would enhance the lactose.

Back