white chunks (ice/dry ice??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

businesstime

Reaction score
Got my CO2 cylinder refilled at the local welding supply store. They exchanged me for a 20 lb tank. When I got home and hooked it up, I noticed a few white chunks form inside my line. At first, my assumption was dry ice.. but the more I think about it, is it more likely I got some moisture inside the line and it's freezing when I release cold CO2? Can this be a problem?

Not dry ice....temp and pressure are all wrong for that,

co2_phase_diagram.gif

(you are probably around 30-40 atms, by the way)....do the white chunks keep forming and disappearing? Could be water ice, but seems odd that the lines are chilling that much just when you are dispensing beer.

My guess is some kind of contamination...bring it back maybe?

I thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one...

I'm working on setting up my regulator. I was in the process of bleeding out the pressure to switch out some lines. In doing so it started spewing some cold while chunks at me while the pressure inside the lines/regulators was releasing. When I hooked it all back up and opened the tank again, some chunks flew into one of the kegs.

This is just CO2 that hasn't turned to gas yet, right? Any ideas what would cause this? More importantly, is the beer still good?

I have no idea what it was and I swear I still see it sometimes if I change up pressure. I've never had any ill effects from it, so I tend not to think about it much these days.

I thought I'd resurrect this thread instead of creating a new one...

I'm working on setting up my regulator. I was in the process of bleeding out the pressure to switch out some lines. In doing so it started spewing some cold while chunks at me while the pressure inside the lines/regulators was releasing. When I hooked it all back up and opened the tank again, some chunks flew into one of the kegs.

This is just CO2 that hasn't turned to gas yet, right? Any ideas what would cause this? More importantly, is the beer still good?

Latest posts

Back