White cake-y stuff

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickfanelli

Reaction score
K, beer bro-haims. What's this stuff

image-73400344.jpg

That looks like a pellicle to me. Usually from either wild yeast or lactobacillus. Have you tasted or smelled it? Does it smell or taste sour?

If its sour or tastes bad, I personally would just dump it. You'll need to then figure out where the contamination came from and sanitize everything.

nickfanelli said:
What else could it be?

Usually a pellicle is formed by brettanomyces or lactobacillus to protect it from oxygen. Based on that picture, that's where my money would be.

Post a top down shot and give a little info on what we are looking at. It could be a beer that just started fermenting and pushed some hot break to the top. Looking through the neck where there isn't any beer, it is too cloudy to determine exactly what is there.

Kit is a brewers mist "Draft". I know really specific eh? Not much choice in the 7 litre category. It spent about two weeks in the primary and it has been two weeks in the carbouy. Temperature is not controlled, but it has been pretty cool the last month and this is the coolest room in the house. This is my cottage, so I didn't see this develop I have been gone two weeks and returned to it.

K, just tasted it. It has a slight sour after taste, but not bad. Going to bottle it. And see how it turns out.

Back