White bubbles on beer in carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nospacehere

Reaction score
Hi guys. I have a beer that's been sitting in a carboy for about six weeks. I brewed it what, seven weeks ago, racked to the carboy a week later, and plan to keg it on May 4, so it can gently prime for a week and be ready for our Six Pints for Doug night on May 11.

The other day I noticed a fine white film that seems to have developed on top of the beer. It looks like when you run a glass through the dishwasher and don't get all the soap off - that white chalky residue you can rub off on the inside of the glass? Or the same for a glass you frequently wash your mouth out with after brushing your teeth. The white film is all up into the neck of the carboy on the glass. And the bubbles that are forming in the beer are white because of this.

Has anyone ever seen this? Is it normal? Is it bad? Is it infected? The beer seems to taste fine, though I've only had a strawful or so. Just looking for guidance. Should I do anything? Thanks guys.

20130418_200506.jpg

Okay I just saw about ten other threads of people asking the same question. Sorry! Should I try to avoid that when I keg the beer? Is it a big deal?

Back