Whiskey barrel ideas?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hermsfun

Reaction score
My friends and I have two full size whiskey barrels. One we want to eventually want to sour after we use it a few times to get rid of the whiskey essence. We were thinking of a stout but I was wondering if anyone had some good ideas. We can brew 35 gallons of 1.060 because of the size of our mash tun. Either way we would brew twice to fill a barrel...

For the first use I would brew something big and flavorful. Big stout, barleywine, old ale, bdsa, something along those lines. The 2nd run could be a medium flavored beer. I've had a bourbon barrel helles that was awesome. I think it was the barrels 3rd beer. After that they're pretty much done.

Speaking of rye, country boy brewing in lexington made a rye ipa they aged in rye whiskey barrels that was fantastic.

There is a small bar that brews there own beer. They use Templeton Rye (Very Good Whiskey Made here in Iowa). But there use beers kinda like an extra pale or so. They weren't to bad. I will say they whiskey barrels kinda smoothed it out pretty well.

What about a strong scotch ale. We want something we can enjoy soon and maybe the other barrel can age for the long haul...

Back