Whirlpool temperature too low?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewntang

Reaction score
My 4th brew day (NE IPA) pretty much went without issues. The one thing I learned is that I need to let my wort rest post flameout instead of starting to chill before starting my whirlpool. I guess I hadn't researched the subject enough but in the time it took me to attach my whirlpool drill bit and walk back over to my boil kettle, my hydra chiller had already cooled the wort to 135F. I was hoping to do my whirlpool at 185. I panicked and put the 6oz hop addition in anyway and did my 20min whirlpool.

My questions are: Is this going to significantly lower the utilization of that hop addition? Is my beer going to lack the hop flavor I was hoping to achieve? Was I stupid to add the hops and whirlpool anyway?

Hindsight is 20/20 so I will correct that mistake in the future but I appreciate any of y'alls input. Thanks!

Why didn't you heat it back up to 170-185F before adding the hops?

The much lower whirlpool temps will surely make a difference, especially in bitterness as there is quite some alpha acid conversion at 185F and none under 160F. I'd say most of the hop oils will still have been released to your beer. It may turn out better than you think.

It honestly never crossed my mind and I definitely panicked. So you think I am going to get a whole lot of bitter?

No you will get less bitter and more aroma so for a NE style IPA you may be fine and like this just as much. Almost like you just did an extra dry hop instead of a whirlpool. Did you add bittering hops in the beginning? If so you should be fine.

Some will purposely whirlpool at a low temp so you may have made something you'll like better by mistake!

Try to do the same batch soon and whirlpool at the high temp and see which you prefer.

Bitterness comes from hotter and longer boiling. You should get a less bitter beer, a little less flavor from the hops and more aroma from being cooler.

I doubt you will notice any difference unless you brewed the same beer, did the whirlpool at the warmer temperature finished them both and compared them side by side.

I don't whirlpool often but I usually put the hops in at flame out, start cooling and take them out just before removing the IC.

I don't know how much of a difference it makes but the beer is great either way.

Back