whirlpool hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riot

Reaction score
I,m trying to make something similar to Wychwood's King Goblin, and after listening to the Wychwood can you brew it episode I am wondering how to apply whirlpool hops on my system. It takes about 90 minutes to cool to pitching temps, as all I have to work with is submersion in my basement utility sink. How should I handle that with a 10-15 minute delay between bringing the kettle in, and it dropping to below 140. I'm also somewhat confused on how to calculate IBUs, having read conflicting things on the subject. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Should I just figure no bitterness at flameout, cool immediately and add a large10-15 minute addition?

I feel like every software measures it differently. I've seen anything from 0 to 20 ibus from a 35 g whirlpool addition. I don't want it to be overwhelming, but I definitely don't want it too sweet. This is going to be a malty brew.

Just finished the boil, ended up adding about another ounce at 10 min. If it comes out too hoppy it can mellow in bottles for awhile.

Back