Which yeast should i use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishermand715

Reaction score
I have extract brewed for a while now and am ready to start all grain. I know what i want to make. It is a american pilsner, i want something close to a bud light. I am using 5 pounds of 2 row american pale and 3 pounds of rice and for hops i am using a saaz pellet.

I would like to know what type of yeast i should use. I have used very cheap yeast before and haven't had a good batch yet. Also, i would like to know if anyone has any suggestions on the ingredients i would like to use? I would really like to keep it in the american pilsner area (no German or British ales) something like bud light.

Are you prepared to Lager your beer for 3-5 weeks at below 50 degrees?

Yes, you are trying to make a Pilsner which is a Lager. You use Lager yeast instead of Ale yeast. I don't brew them as I don't have a fermentation chamber and cannot offer anything other that what I have.

Someone with experience brewing Lagers will be a long to help.

Also, you'll want to investigate the differences between lager and ale yeast, namely, lower temperatures and higher pitching rates. You'll need to make a large, active starter full of healthy yeast.

thanks j sullivan,

do you think the recipe is okay though?

I have seen a few like this on other beer SITES
go buy a case and brew something else is my suggestion honestly, i have tried three times to brew a light lager session beer, it will never be as good as bmc, ever, so save your time (how much is it worth to you? alot to me), and your money and just go support big brother BMC and brew something nice you will actually enjoy without all the hassle, three strikes and im out with lagers thats for sure, and my last one actually turned out real real real nice a boston lagerclone/vienna lager, but just not worth all the hassle in hindsight. seriously just brew BM's centennial blonde :ban: and save yourself the headache seriously, just my .02

You're over 50% adjunct to base malt. That's kind of pushing it using two row.

Make sure you have some iodine to check the mash for conversion. Most of my adjunct Lagers end up needing a 90 minute mash and you'll probably want to mash it no higher than 150*. I just use Saflager W-34/70 for yeast. 1.7- 11g packets for a 1.040-50 ish beer. It's cleaner than S-23 and a lot less trouble than making a huge starter. And you can brew when you feel like it. ;)

I've done two lagers. One Czech pils from a northern brewer kit and a Maibock that I formulated myself. Both extract. Pils was bad Maibock was good but like others have said not worth the work.

I just pitched my harvested 3 year old Bavarian lager yeast on a starter and believe it or not, it lives! So I guess now I will have to brew another lager. Maybe an oktoberfest to put away or another maibock. We'll see.

To the OP no offense but I think you need to research this more. Why do you want to make Bud Light? Most of us beer snobs get into homebrew so we can make good beer cheap. I have read light lagers are the hardest beers to do well. Water chemistry adjunct ratio etc etc. lots of factors. I would consider the advice others have given you and recommend a light blond ale with a nice neutral ale yeast like wyeast 1056 or WLP 001

Good luck
Alan

Back