which yeast for wee heavy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
I am putting together my first AG wee-heavy (strong Scottish ale) and I'm torn on which yeast to use. I have on hand S-04, Nottingham and WLP001, (as well as WLP080, WLP029, WLP036 and GY-054 but they're not really up for consideration, unless someone wants to convince me otherwise). I've never used WLP028 or 1728 before, would it be worth it to pick some up (or something else entirely), or would one of the ones I have on hand give good results on a wee heavy? Thanks.

I've used 028 and really liked it, malt comes through with a pleasant soft sweetness. I just used it in a kettle sour as well and it balanced very well. An easily forgotten but very good yeast imo.

I think I'll pick up a vial of 028, I've read people using it for lots of different styles. I'm intrigued.... I think I'll over build and harvest for an upcoming ipa.

I've tried WY1098, WY1084, and WY1728 on my Scottish ales, which I brew mostly for growing yeast cell counts for heavier brews. For my Scotch Ale (now Wee Heavy), I've settled on the WY1728. When fermented at low temperatures, it seems to give an earthy flavor that really compliments the malt heavy style. I've gotten feedback from competition of a very subtle, low level smoked malt flavor when using this yeast, and I don't use any smoked malt in my grist bill.

WLP028 and WY1728 are supposedly the same strain (McEwans). I've used WLP028 to make bitters, IPA and stout and it's good in all of them. I made a beer similar to Deuchars IPA using it recently and it turned out better than I expected. It didn't last long. It's a good, versatile strain.

For what it's worth, I'll be doing one soon. My plan is to use Wyeast 1450 / Denny's fav.

So I went with 028. The LHBS was out of 1728 the day I picked it up, or I might have gotten it instead.

I know they are supposedly the same strain, but why then does White Labs state 65-70F but Wyeast states 55-75F? Has anyone tried either of them down below 60? I'd be interested in trying 1728 down around 58-60

i fermented right around the 62-64 deg range.. for almost 8-9 days.. still sittin in carboy.. so havent tasted it yet..
recipe was just Simpsons GP, hops, and yeast.

So I went with 028. The LHBS was out of 1728 the day I picked it up, or I might have gotten it instead.

I know they are supposedly the same strain, but why then does White Labs state 65-70F but Wyeast states 55-75F? Has anyone tried either of them down below 60? I'd be interested in trying 1728 down around 58-60

From my experience, 65F and up is much too high for this yeast. I start my scotch ale fermenting around 60F for 48 hrs then slowly bring it up to around 64F over the course of about 2 weeks.

Back