Which yeast for a Red/Brownish hoppy ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MugsWorth

Reaction score
I've got 1 pk of US05, and a Slurry of fresh Cosmic Punch for 12 gals. of wort. Should I use the slurry or use a pk of dry Abbey Ale yeast if I split the batch? Maybe even go 3 - 4 gal. Fermenter. My LHBS was out of my 1272 and I thought I had another pkg of US05....DUH
Thoughts

I think the answer depends on what you want the beer to be. Since you were originally planning US05 or 1272, the Cosmic Punch would get you a lot closer than the Abbaye.

Also, if you're concerned about the picth rate for your US05, you could do a starter.

In dry yeast; My mild and red have both come out great with a good balance of hop/malt taste with S-04, With Lallemand London, the hops shine through, with Lallemand Windsor, the malt shines through.... That's on my own attempts to replicate the British Pub-Ales that were around in the in the 1950's and my taster is a 90 year old former SAS who no longer buys mainstream beer because of it. ;)

Typical American ale yeast are good options, especially if you want a more hoppy or crisp feel. Most of the American craft red and brown ales are brewed this way and the vast majority with chico.

Personally I like brewing these beers with London Ale III which balances the hop and malt character. Other English strains would also work, I'm just partial to that strain. Really depends on what you want out of the beer.

Back