Which would you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cubslover

Reaction score
I was all geared up to do an oatmeal porter, but since buying more Honker's Ale, I might change my mind and do it instead.

Would you brew this

3.3lbs Gold LME
3.3lbs Amber LME

1.5lbs 1 Minute Oats (partial Mash)
2lbs 2-Row Pale (Partial Mash)

1b Crystal 60
8oz Biscuit
8oz Honey Malt
4oz Black Patent

1oz Northern Brewer - 60
1.5oz Fuggles - 30
.5oz Fuggles - 15
12oz French Press Coffee
4oz SemiSweet Chocolate

~ 32 IBU

OR

3.3lbs Gold LME
3.3lbs Amber LME

2lbs 2-row Pale
1lb Crystal 60

1oz Northern Brewer - 60
2oz Fuggles - 30
1oz Willamette - 15

~ 38 IBU

Personally I would prefer the second; the first recipe could be good, but looks a bit convoluted. Though it will be more important how well you brew the second one. Things stand out more in lighter-flavored beers, generally.

In both of them I would get rid of the amber LME (replacing it with more gold LME) and compensate with some mashed or steeped grain. That will give you much better control over what's going into your beer.

I notice you're separating the steeping and the mashing grains. Not sure what this indicates to you, but just in case, know that you don't need to keep steeping grains a separate step from the mash. They can go right in with the mashing grains.

The second one looks like a better recipe...I have always liked simple recipes...doesn't have to be complex to be delicious

Thanks guys,

Sky: I guess I didn't mention it, but I was planning on adding the specialty grains for the last 25-30min of the mash.

That would work fine. You can throw them in for the entire mash too, though.

Latest posts

Back