Which Wort Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acousticfan

Reaction score
I'm upgrading to all grain after a half dozen extract brews and I have a question about two variations on an immersion chiller. I'm planning on using it primarily for outdoor brewing and connecting to a garden hose, but could see possibly using it in the kitchen in the winter. It seems there are two main options, one with two garden hose adapters attached directly to the copper, and one with vinyl tubing on both ends and a garden hose attachment on one end. Is there a big difference between the two? I assume I would have to buy a second garden hose to attach to the out end if the one with two GH adopters, right? Thanks for your input.

Brandon

Similar boat here. Getting into all grain and looking for the right way to set up my incoming wort chiller (got it from NY Brew Supply 3/8" x 50' copper, still awaiting for it to arrive via Amazon) It has a drain off tube and a garden hose female adapter attached.

I was first wanting to hook it up outside, but realized I can't always do that once winter rolls around. So I decided to hit up my local hardware store, and attach a t-valve on the kitchen cold water valve. From there, I attached a garden hose adapter and a garden hose cap. I believe the t-valve was a 3/8" x 3/8". If you aren't sure, ask the store. Sadly, the garden hose cap didn't hold up to the water pressure and leaked heavily. I might have set it up wrong, not sure. Fortunately, I had an extra water valve used for a sprayer hose that is not used. I've rigged that up with a garden hose adapter, and can turn it off and on as needed.

I am a complete plumbing newbie, but a few quick tips from the local hardware store plumbing expert, and I was easily able to set it up. Just be sure to check for leaks, use a drip pan and teflon tape, and ensure the water supply is OFF before removing any lines :)

^^ that's literally the one i just got, and it's awesome! I was gonna snag the 25' just to save some cash, but knowing myself, I would have upgraded to the 50' eventually. I would definitely recommend that one from NYBS.

Nice Weizer! How long did it take to get it shipped to you? I ordered it last Friday and Amazon still notes that it is "Shipping Soon" :(

Back