Which will retain flavor for a while?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjf474

Reaction score
I'm planning on starting my 2nd batch. I recently found out IPAs start to lose the hop flavor after about 1.5 - 2 months. I would like to brew something that will retain it's flavor for a while, so I can make a few more and not always drink the same thing. Wondering what to go with. I was thinking a saison or wheat beer. Thoughts?

I have an Irish Red Ale that is about 3 months old (from kegging) and it seems to taste just as good if not better than it did 2.5 months ago. It's a take on this recipe from user mysticmead.

Raging Red Irish Red

It tastes great and I plan to make a 10 gallon batch next time.

Also, if you like ciders, ciders will last a year or more but do take longer before they are ready for consumption.

Last edited:
Saisons and any belgian beer age great. I have a 1.5 year old Belgian Dark Ale that just keeps getting better. Strong stouts and porters too

But if you start kegging, you can get your IPAs to last MUCH longer. The main issue here is oxidation, which inevitably occurs when you take gravity readings and bottle. If you can minimize the amount of oxygen that the beer comes in contact with, the longer it'll last

Back