Which temp to use to determine priming amount

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbosco

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm about to bottle an IPA that is ready to go. My question is what temp should I use to determine the appropriate amount of priming sugar. The beer fermented for the first 2.5 weeks at between 68-70. A couple days ago I dropped it down to 58 as it still had a decent amount of dry hop material and yeast floating around.

I'm shooting for about 1.9 volumes of CO2. If I base it one the current temp I should add 2.22 oz. (63.1g) of corn sugar. If I base on the fermenting temp it would be 2.65 oz. (75.1g). I assume I use the current temp, but wanted to confirm.

I get that it's not a huge difference, but I've had some carb issues on 2 of my last 3 batches so I'm trying to rule out everything I can.

Thanks!
Mark

The highest temperature it reached during fermentation. Cold crashing/cooling does not magically replace CO2 lost from off-gassing during fermentation.

Latest posts

Back