Which style for a new baby

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marchio-93

Reaction score
Hellooooo everyone! My sister just got pregnant so I have seven months to get a beer for the birth of this baby. Which style is better for a female and which is better for a male?

Give me good ideas, it must be remembered over the years!

Hellooooo everyone! My sister just got pregnant so I have seven months to get a beer for the birth of this baby. Which style is better for a female and which is better for a male?

If you want it to be remembered over the years, maybe do a barleywine or a big stout that can be aged over those years. Maybe open a bottle or two per year.

ETA: I have no idea how the baby's gender would affect this.

Congrats! I like VikeMan's idea for a big beer which could be opened every year symbolic of the child's maturity. Or do 2 different fruited beers, like one blueberry and one raspberry (try to make one blueish and one pinkish.) This might be a good gender reveal device as well. Cheers!

Or do 2 different fruited beers, like one blueberry and one raspberry (try to make one blueish and one pinkish.)

That sounds like a good idea, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying. But I've done lots of beers with various amounts of raspberries and blueberries (not in the same beer) and haven't really had anything really resembling blue. Reminds me of the old George Carlin bit about blue food.

I started a series of beer for my son when he was born February of 19 and I brew a new beer in his honor every year to be tapped on his bday( or the weekend just after)

The first beer was a milkshake ipa with peaches, mango, pineapple and vanilla with Denali, Citra, and mosaic hops. In honor of his first batch, I named it Milo’s first Latch

This year for his bday I made a NEIPA with citra, mosaic, and chinook and called it Milo turns one.

I’m going to stick with ipas I think abc this name bur obviously switch the age

Good luck with it and congrats on the bambino

I'm pretty sure babies like breakfast stouts. One of the more popular ones has a baby on the label --- not sure if it's a boy or girl though.

Totally didn't read the op post so I just talked about beers for new babies not different for boys and girls.

a local brewery by me has a collab series going with Warhead candy (yes, really) and they have genuine colored beers. I know the brewer through mutual friends and I can ask him what they are using for color, if you’re interested.
155ED040-AEE6-458A-A930-84881D414163.jpeg

That sounds like a good idea, and I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from trying. But I've done lots of beers with various amounts of raspberries and blueberries (not in the same beer) and haven't really had anything really resembling blue. Reminds me of the old George Carlin bit about blue food.
lol yeah, probably a better idea in theory than practice. Maybe try a pinkish (reddish) fruited beer and hope for a little girl!

Thank you all! A lot of good ideas
I know the brewer through mutual friends and I can ask him what they are using for color, if you’re interested. View attachment 676330
Of course i'im interested.

If it's gonna be a girl I was thinking of an American Wheat with Hibiscus to get the pinky. I tried once and it was very good (my profile photo)

Also a milkshake ipa is a very good idea but I never tried one. And also an aged stout or a barley wine for A STRONG NEW MAN

If you want it to be remembered over the years, maybe do a barleywine or a big stout that can be aged over those years. Maybe open a bottle or two per year.

ETA: I have no idea how the baby's gender would affect this.
We did this with our two boys, first one was a barely wine and the second is a imperial stout. We have ten gallons each. My wife and I drink a bottle on their birthdays and their will be 2 cases waiting for them on their 21st.

Fruit sour for sure! Can be a light ABV, or even a high ABV to get that last "hoorah" in before the sleepless nights. Plus it can be appreciated by both beer connoisseurs and BMC drinkers, alike.

1 batch of a blueberry (or other blue fruit)
1 batch of a raspberry (or other pink/red fruit)

If you don't want to venture into sours, just do a nice blonde ale steeped with those fruits during primary/kegging instead.

Best bet for a newborn would be a low hop fruit wheat. Their taste is nowhere near sophisticated enough to appreciate a big barley wine or stout.

But I would be looking at a sour. Something that will grow, much like your new neice or nephew. Unfortunately I don't have much experience with sours (outside of drinking them). There are many here that can help you.

Back