Which of these coolers should I use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evilhomer

Reaction score
I want to turn one of my coolers into a mash tun. I already own two I could use, first is a 36qt with a little valley running through the middle. Thought with this one I could run a single steel braid through that valley.

Doing a google image search I found another hbt thread on the same cooler https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/my-coleman-xtreme-bulkhead-build-138013/ you can see the valley there. This guy did the single braid on a bigger version http://heartachebrewery.com/2009/07/coleman-xtreme-70-qts-camo-diy.html

Other option is a traditional 48 qt, very rectangular, very flat. I would also miss this cooler more because I use it the most.

One thing to consider is the size of the batches you'll be doing and the associated grain bills. Using a very large cooler it can be more challenging to keep your temps consistent when doing a 5Gal batch with a small grain bill. Just a thought...

Bigger is better IMO, but if you're not making big beers then the 32 might serve your needs. I started with a 48 & since went to a 70 (10 gallon batches). Both are Coleman's By running the tube through the drain spout (tight fit) I can pull the tube & braid out in as fast as it takes to undo a hose clamp and viola, it's a cooler again. Same goes if I want to do a 5 gallon batch. I can switch back to the 48 very quickly with no mods. Here's a pic. Cheers!!!

MashTunDrain.jpg

Just like hamiltont said, it depends on the size beers you are going to be making. I got a 52 qt coleman xtreme thinking I would be making some big beers and some 10 gallon batches... I find that my consumption is not nearly enough to even hand the 5 gallon batches I am brewing. I am getting a 3 gallon cooler for 2.5 stove top batches. So it really is about what you plan on doing. I still have all of my equipment for 10 gallon batches tho...best of both worlds, but the wallet is hurting :)

Bigger is better IMO, but if you're not making big beers then the 32 might serve your needs. I started with a 48 & since went to a 70 (10 gallon batches). Both are Coleman's By running the tube through the drain spout (tight fit) I can pull the tube & braid out in as fast as it takes to undo a hose clamp and viola, it's a cooler again. Same goes if I want to do a 5 gallon batch. I can switch back to the 48 very quickly with no mods. Here's a pic. Cheers!!!

What's it look like on the inside?

Just wondering how you get that to seal? Thinking of doing something similar to the HLT. Is it just the "Tight Fit" or something unseen?

Thanks

Just wondering how you get that to seal? Thinking of doing something similar to the HLT. Is it just the "Tight Fit" or something unseen?

Thanks
Snug fit. It pivots somewhat freely in the drain hole but never leaks a drop. There's a tube splice (or what ever it's called) on the inside where the hose fits on one end & the braid on the other end, hence the 2 hose clamps. That may also help with the seal since it's up snug to the drain. Cheers!!!

Back