Which Northern Brewer Retail Location should I go to?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wubears71

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm flying into MSP today and then on my way to Eau Claire, WI. My local store here in St. Louis was out if Target Hops which I need for a brew I'm doing next week when returning so instead of ordering I was going to stop into Northern Brewer before heading to Eau Claire. Does anyone recommend either store in the area over the other? The St. Paul location is more on my route but I have plenty of time to hit up either.

Thanks.

Both stores are always well stocked when I visit but I'd shoot them a call to make sure that they have the hops if you are making a special trip.
612-843-4444- Minneapolis
651-223-6114- Saint Paul

The new store in south Minneapolis is really nice. I think they might be having a hop sale right now too.

Right off of Hwy 62 (which is pretty much a straight shot from the airport) and Lyndale.

Intro to brewing class going on today 11:00 to 2:00. Sit in for a bit and get 10% off your purchases.

No I don't work there but I pretty much live there.

St Paul store is perfectly fine as far as stock and helpful staff but the Minneapolis store seems to be more of a flagship location.

Do the Twin Cities retail stores keep 50# or 25kg bags of base malts in stock, or is that a special order/Internet thing? I'm gonna be driving thru there Saturday and looking for a good deal on a whole bag of pale ale malt... or maybe Vienna.

My LHBS only has American 2-row and an assortment of crystal malts in bulk bins. Everything else is expensive little bags (and I'm grateful they have them)

Do the Twin Cities retail stores keep 50# or 25kg bags of base malts in stock, or is that a special order/Internet thing? I'm gonna be driving thru there Saturday and looking for a good deal on a whole bag of pale ale malt... or maybe Vienna.

My LHBS only has American 2-row and an assortment of crystal malts in bulk bins. Everything else is expensive little bags (and I'm grateful they have them)

I know the Minneapolis store has bags of malt. St Paul probably does as well, but it is a smaller store and may only have basics.
Otherwise Midwest has a good variety of bulk bags.
You could call ahead to verify.

I stopped by the Minneapolis store today. It was a real PITA to get to from the north on whatever road state highway 65 becomes. When I left and headed south, I was on the freeway right away and speeding on my way. :eek:

Now I know where it is, so it'll be a lot easier next time.

Anyway, I bought a 50 lb bag of Rahr pale ale malt, a 3 lb bag of DME, a couple of growlers, and a bunch of assorted doo-dads. Got out of the store for less than $100, so I was pleased. Now I gotta find a place to store the malt to keep mice and moths and weevils out of it (I don't have mice in the house, but they do get in the garage in winter so that rules it out)

Back