Which kettle should I get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rave808

Reaction score
I'm moving my set up outside and I'm going to get a burner . I narrowed it down to the kettle I want but not sure what size. I'm going to buy a northern brewer megapot 1.2 but can't decide on the 10 gallon or the 15 gallon with a ball valve. I'll be doing full boil extract 5 gallon batches and eventually BIAB and if I do all grain I'll mash in a 10 gallon cooler so please help me decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I'm always a fan of going one size bigger than what you'll need. If you get the 10 you'll wish you got the 15. That's why I got a 20 gallon because I know at some point I'd have wished I had anyway.

Whenever I see these types of threads I already know the answer without even reading the thread (although I did read yours).

It's always the same answer for me: Buy the biggest one you can afford. Usually the thread is like yours where it's between two sizes. I'm usually going to tell you to get the bigger one for the same reason Marc77 said. You may not NEED it right now, but one day you might get the hankerin for a larger batch size and if/when that day comes, you'll be able to just increase your grain bill.

If I get the 15 where would you start to get limited with the kettle ?

The thermometer on the MegaPot looks like it'll be at the 5gal mark or so on the 15gal kettle. That's the one thing I would take into account especially if you're doing extract.

-Spike Brewing

If sight glass is a problem for you don't get it. I use a piece of cpvc pipe with marks on the side at every gallon (big line) and half gallon line (small marks). Then I just clean and sanitize it on my brew day. At $3.28 at home depot for 10 feet...it's hard to beat that!

I'm not going to get thermometer just ball valve . With a fifteen kettle how big of a biab batch can you do in a 15 ?

I'd get a 15 especially for BIAB but I don't think you'll easily get away with a 10 gallon batch if the beer is at all on the big side. If you intend to do BIAB and 10 gallon batches, get the 20 gallon. You didn't really say if you aspire to 10 gallon batches.

Also, this calculator was linked by someone in some other thread, I found it useful:
http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

Also, I'd get the pot you can afford with a ball valve. You don't want to have to try and lift and pour your wort out. I can't imagine doing that ever for 5 gallon full boils or more. It was a pain with 3 gallons of wort when I did extract.

Probably gonna stick with 5 might do occasional 10 extract am I more limited with 10 than with 15? Is a 15 big enough for 10 gallon extract and can I do big beers 5 gallon biab in a 10 gallon kettle or is it cutting it close

I'm not going to get thermometer just ball valve . With a fifteen kettle how big of a biab batch can you do in a 15 ?

If my math is right...someone please check it.

One pound of grain takes up 1/3 quart of volume (more or less). So 3 pounds of grain per quart.

At a 1.25 quart/pound of grain grist ratio you're looking at 36 pound of grain available.

36 pounds of grain at 1/3 quart volume/per pound = 12 quart = 3 gallons.
1.25 quarts/pound of grist to account for 36 gallons = 45 quarts = 11.25 gallons.

So you would have 3/4's of a gallon of space from the top. Again, someone check my math or correct my assumptions if wrong.

I have a fifteen gallon pot and do 10 gallon biab batches. My grain bill ranges from 17 to 22 pounds with no problems.

I have a 9 gallon pot and can biab 1050 beers very close to full volume. Any higher and I have to sparge a couple gallons. For 5 gallon batches.

Back