Which hops to dry hop....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tophe

Reaction score
Ive got a brew going that is going to secondary this weekend.....

Grain Bill:
1 lb. Belgian Biscuit.
4lbs. Light DME
3lbs, 6.5 oz Amber DME

Hops Bill:
1 oz target (60 min)
1 oz fuggels (5 min)

I was thinking about trying dry hopping to add a little more hoppiness to this brew. I put the target pellets in an herb ball, and Im not sure I got out of it what I was going for. It was packed solid from the expansion when I was done(Wont use that again for that).

Ive never dry hopped, and thought this may be a good brew to try it.

Never dry-hopped. But from what I've heard, it should be an aromatic hop. I had been wondering about this too, and it seems like it would make sense to dry hop the same variety as you added at the end of the boil..kind of an amplification of the same flavor. Does that make sense?

Anything in the Golding family will go well with the other two. East Kent is probably the easiest to find. Dry hopping works best with whole leaf and letting it float free. Bagging it loosely is another alternative.

East kent goldings are my all time favorite hop, and they are fantastic for dry hopping. In fact, I'm drinking a EKG dry hopped pale right now.

We use tetenagger, we love them, have used them twice now, but have only got to taste one so far, amazing... :D

cascade for me. I find myself constantly sniffing my beers that have them as dry hoppers, I love that floral, citrus- like aroma.

I agree with the Count, Cascade or Northern brewer are the best. IMO

Cheers

Thanks for the answers guys.....not sure which one I'll try yet, I guess it kind of depends on which one they have in stock at the HBS too. Guess Ill have to start trying dry hopping and figure out which one I like!

One good piece of advice would be to smell the hops, what they smell like is what is going to be added to your brew.

Cheers

Back