which hops in Harpoon UFO Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
For SWMBO, I'd like to make an American wheat beer similar to Harpoon's Hefeweizen. I'm thinking about going with a basic 50/50 wheat malt/pale 2-row grist with a 60 minute hop addition to get it somewhere in the vicinity of 20-25 IBUs. Maybe a late hop addition at flameout for a little aroma too. But which hop? I've seen one clone recipe out their that calls for Hallatau, but the Harpoon website mentions a citrusy character so I thought perhaps they use an American hop. Or perhaps they add lemon zest to the boil?

Any ideas on this one? Thanks. :mug:

I'd stick with the Hallertau at 60. IIRC the Harpoon hefeweizen has little hop flavor/aroma. If you wanted to you could add a small amount of cascade late in the boil for some citrus hop flavor/aroma. Since it's for SWMBO I'd cater to her pallet. If she likes hoppy beer use a late addition.

I know it won't matter too much for the 60 min addition, but anyone know if Hallertau is even the correct hop in this beer?

Latest posts

Back