Which Gas in Torpedo Kegs as Shipped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here know what kind of gas is in Torpedo kegs when they are shipped? I received one, and I was surprised to see it showed up here with pressure.

It is common practice to ship kegs with enough pressure to indicate they can seal.
I would expect the gas used to come from a compressor, not a cylinder...

Cheers!

Thanks for the help, although I would not have needed it if my brain had not missed a shift. Sorry about that.

I just kegged for the first time since about '06. :ban::mug: I used my new Torpedo keg. I decided to keep it for stout and whatever else I want to serve warmer than ales and lagers.

I really hope no one chimes in to tell me stouts are ales.

I like the keg a lot. Unlike a Corny, it can be washed easily in a kitchen sink, and the kitchen sink sprayer can be shoved into it easily. It's too bad the shape isn't right for keezers.

I now have the Torpedo in the fermenting fridge on 35 psi at around 38°. Hope I can try it tomorrow night. I am not very handy with the refractometer, so I'm not even sure it's done fermenting. If not, I'll boil hot dogs in it. I have a graduated cylinder on the way for wheat, which is next. After that, stout and my favorite orange lager. Orange-colored, not flavored. Okay, amber. Whatever. Looks orange to me.

Incidentally, I am fairly sure a short Torpedo can turn a 4-Corny keezer into a 5-keg keezer by sitting on the hump. That wasn't my plan, but it looks like it can be done. If you want two gases, you will have to figure something out, though, because it may not be possible to get two 5-pound tanks in there.

Latest posts

Back