Which false bottom do you use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helloworld

Reaction score
I'm shopping for a false bottom for my cylindrical mash tun. I am leaning towards what MoreBeer offers. Looking for opinions.

I like the domed kind (bought from AIH I think). 12" for a 10 gal cooler, 9" for a 5 gal cooler. Whichever tun I use, I use the other false bottom in the kettle when I use whole hops as a hop blocker.

I spent 10 bucks on CPVC pipe and made my own in less than hour with a pipe cutter and hack saw...works like a charm and I regularly get between 75-80% effenciency

:rockin:

I spent 10 bucks on CPVC pipe and made my own in less than hour with a pipe cutter and hack saw...works like a charm and I regularly get between 75-80% effenciency

:rockin:

Mind sharing your mash and sparge procedure? My best to date is 70% with a bazooka screen.

Mind sharing your mash and sparge procedure? My best to date is 70% with a bazooka screen.

Sure thing, I mash 1.5 quarts/pound of grain. So, if I have 10 pounds of grain I'm mashing in with 3.75 gallons of water. I usually mash 152-154 degrees for 60 minutes. My mash tun generally holds temp well as long as I preheat it with some hot water.

I then do a mash out with a gallon at 168 stir really well and let it sit for 10 minutes. I then vorlauf until wort runs clear usually only takes a gallon sometimes two. Drain the tun into the boil kettle. Then I batch sparge with however much water I need to get to 6.2 gallons of wort. That includes dumping in the water mixing well sit for 10 minutes then vorlauf and drain.

That's about it...only missed my SG once by 3 points otherwise I've hit my numbers and my final gravity always hits the mark or does better!

Hope this helps!

:mug: :rockin:

I use the 12" from Morebeer and it is a quality false bottom. I also have a 9" by Krome that I got off of amazon. I think the Krome one is slightly better quality, but both work fine.

Having said that, I used a DIY copper manifold for years and years with no issues. I decided that I wanted a false bottom, but my efficiency, vourlaff time, clarity did not change with the upgrade. For me, the upgrade was a solution in search of a problem.

I use a copper manifold in my MLT's. Started w/ a round SS false bottom but I've had better results (stuck spares) w/ the manifolds.

I have a sabco for my small system and the blichmann for my large, both work amazing well, and are of the highest quality of any of my equipment. A long time ago someone told me the only brewing equipment that you should ever consider spending more on then is necessary for your current needs is your false bottom and your chiller. I have done this with both brew rigs Ive built i would do it again in a heartbeat. just my two cents

Latest posts

Back