Which Conical To buy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTolino

Reaction score
I was looking for some input on a new 14.5 gal conical. I was looking at another blichmann conical, but this time with a tri clamp blow off . Does anyone know if the blichmann can be pressurized to help in transfer? I was looking at the Stout tanks 14.5 gallon fermenter, because it has a blow off valve already on the lid and can be pressurized. The only problem I see, which is personal preference, is that it only comes with tri clamp butterfly valves. All of my other equipment has the blichmann quick disconnects.

Anybody have any thoughts on brands of conicals? I'd appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I sold the blichmann that I had and purchased 2 brewhemoth conicals. Never been happier. You can get them in tri clamp or ntp configurations.

I just took a look at the Brewhemoth website, they look awesome, but they only come in 22 gallon.
We are only making 10 galloon batches. I worry that there might be too much headspace in the fermenter.

I own a Blichmann with the tri clamp fittings, and have been thinking about buying another conical too. If I buy another one, I'd probably go with a Brewers Hardware conical.

I pressurize my Blichmann for transfers.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I have a lot to think about! I appreciate it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewers hardware by a mile if you can afford it and don't mind a wait. Brewhemoth is tied with a more beer ultimate heated and cooled conical as brewhemoth is cheaper then morebeer til you add fittings and a way to cool/ heat it but the morebeer can't do pressurized fermentation and its cooling capabilities are limited depending on ambient temp. ...blichmann or eventually the 17 gallon chronical fermenter when it comes out would be my third choice.

Glacier or Spike, I would want pressure transfer, spunding capability, and an opening for dry-hopping and such. I like the Spike, but I regularly do 15-20 gallon batches. I also would want welded tri-clamp fittings, again that is just me.

I am very happy with the Brewers Hardware 15 gal conical. I did very extensive comparison shopping and thought hard about what features were important to me. However, it does come at a premium $$ and their website says backorded till 4/15.

Some of the things I looked very closely during my shopping was the design of the tank top cap seal (ring clamp vs all tri-clamp), whether the fittings were all welded or weldless, and the size of the bottom yeast dump valve (1" vs 2", ball valve vs butterfly valve).

What do you guys think about the MoreBeer 14 Gallon Conical Fermenter? I have been looking at the Brewhemoth, MoreBeer, and BrewersHardware. I can't find a lot of reviews on the MoreBeer

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

What do you guys think about the MoreBeer 14 Gallon Conical Fermenter? I have been looking at the Brewhemoth, MoreBeer, and BrewersHardware. I can't find a lot of reviews on the MoreBeer

Are you asking about the morebeer heated and cooled or just the plain Jane? If just the plain Jane I think they are probably well made but they arent anything special. The brewers hardware concial is for sure nicer and imo so is the brewhemoth, as it is pressurizable for fermentation and with the chiller coil it's able to be cooled in a reduced footprint. Now if your talking about the morebeer heated/ cooled fermenter I think it's pretty equal to the brewhemoth... maybe an edge to the morebeer just because it's ready to go out the gate.

I have the Morebeer 14 gal with heating/cooling and it is superb. :rockin:

Bought mine direct from Morebeer and their customer service rocks. I was like a nervous parent using it the first time and called way more than what is decent.

I have the triclamp version of the Brewhemoth. I can't say enough of how pleased I am with it! I have used it for batches from 5 gallons to 20 gallons with no problems.

Back