Which carbonating method to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtrevino

Reaction score
I am going to do my first keg with this batch that I have in the works now. My only hang up is which method to use. If I have access to a fridge is it better to set and forget it or force carbonate? I know that by set and forget it gives the beer longer to age, but I can just let it age longer in the carboy then just force it, can't I?

Both methods are force carbonation.

I highly suggest avoiding the 30psi methods that you're thinking of. Set it and forget it can have a beer fully carbed in 5-7 days...the biggest benefit to this is that you don't risk overcarbing.

The 30psi method, in my opinion, is a waste of time. People want to do it because they think it will make their beer ready faster. Not true. Even if you condition in a carboy for a longer period, you're still going to have the initial carbonic acid taste to get rid of. That takes a week or so to mellow in my experience.

Besides...with set it and forget it, you can hook up a splitter to your tank and carb a beer while you're serving others. All without having to adjust the psi. I leave mine set at 12-15psi at all times. I don't really worry about carbonating to style, so 12-15psi works great for me.

I kegged my first beer about a month ago. I decided to set the PSI to 12 and let it sit in the refrigerator at 39 degrees. In one week I poured a glass and it foamed up nicely but the head disappeared pretty quickly and it tasted flat. After two weeks I tried another sample and again it foamed up perfectly in the glass and the head lasted a lot longer and the carbonation was almost perfect. After three weeks everything was perfect. The taste, the pour, the head. That was my experience. Next month I think I will keg my second beer (hoping for some more kegs for Christmas) and try the 30 PSI for 36 hours and then set to 12 PSI and wait five days. Then I will have experience with both methods and I'll know which one I prefer.

On a side note, I'm starting to get some off flavors in my beer. The beer has been in the keg for about 2 months now and I'm trying to figure out the cause of this.

Scott

Really it comes down to how much you trust your kegs. You can naturally carb in your keg. But if you have a leak, even a small one, your beer is never going to fully carb. Also remember you need less priming sugar. Beersmith has a good calculator for that. Roughly half of normal is the amount needed. Then again, force carbing is an option. As others have said here, after about 2-3 weeks, your beer will be ready if you set it at 11-13psi, depending on temperature. If you have a leak, the affects are more that you will drain a bottle of CO2 easily. Also, you use a fair bit of CO2 even if you dont have a leak.

Personally, I like to force carb, but I have used priming sugar. I prefer force method because it lets me control carbonation a little more exactly.

Well I was not patient and I forced carbonated; beer was about 45F and 30 psi, then gently shook until I could not hear anymore co2 dispensing. I let it sit for about an hour, bled off a little pressure and then it sat overnight in the fridge. The next morning I bled off the remaining pressure and set the reg to 5 psi. It came out perfect!

Im not sure if it was beginners luck but I dont plan on doing it this way every time.

Well I was not patient and I forced carbonated; beer was about 45F and 30 psi, then gently shook until I could not hear anymore co2 dispensing. I let it sit for about an hour, bled off a little pressure and then it sat overnight in the fridge. The next morning I bled off the remaining pressure and set the reg to 5 psi. It came out perfect!

Im not sure if it was beginners luck but I dont plan on doing it this way every time.

Hey, sometimes better to be lucky than good. Next time, when you have time, chill it and pressurize it to 12-15 psi.

Back