Which BJCP Catagery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samaral

Reaction score
I'm brewing a American dark wheat beer. It has a srm of 23, 25 ibus, and 5.7 abv. I'm using Wlp 001. What do you guys think.

What's the recipe? If it's just a dark beer that has wheat that would be a different answer than if it's 50% wheat malt and flaked wheat. Have you made/tasted it before or is there a commercial example you're trying to emulate? There is a mixed style category if nothing else.

American Brown?

Vital Statistics: OG: 1.045 – 1.060
IBUs: 20 – 30 FG: 1.010 – 1.016
SRM: 18 – 35 ABV: 4.3 – 6.2%

If it's for a BJCP competition, then flavor matters more that the vital statistics (IBUs, Gravity, etc.).

If it's for your own personal enjoyment, then you can make up your own category. Call it an American Dark Wheat.

Then it will be an excellent example of the style.

It's 50 percent wheat with 2 row chocolate wheat and pale chocolate making up the rest of the grain Bill. I haven't made it yet it just something I want to try out.

You can put it into experimental if you really want to.

HOWEVER, if you want to win medals in BJCP, you really need to formulate your original recipe around the style guidelines, not just brew something and then try to fit it into a category after the fact. You'll score much higher if you have the goal in mind before you brew and try to hit a style dead center.

Good luck!

You can put it into experimental if you really want to.

HOWEVER, if you want to win medals in BJCP, you really need to formulate your original recipe around the style guidelines, not just brew something and then try to fit it into a category after the fact. You'll score much higher if you have the goal in mind before you brew and try to hit a style dead center.

Good luck!

Thanks not really worried about medals. It more about getting feedback from a impartial source

If it's for a BJCP competition, then flavor matters more that the vital statistics (IBUs, Gravity, etc.).

Sure, but he is using an American ale yeast, and the color and flavor from the chocolate malt will take it out of the American Wheat category. Process of elimination makes it more of a wheaty brown ale than a brown wheat beer. Just for the purposes of what to call it, I would go toward brown ale.

I wanna sit down at a round table with multiple award winning brewers and ask them what the process is toward making a BJCP medal. Is it difficult historic research? Someline like what the style guideline is generally revolved around? Or is it amazing beer recipe inspired by a historic style that just tastes like pure euphoric bliss? At the end of the day, if it doesn't work what you think it will work in but still tastes great then the 2015 Category 34C is where you are in. However be able to defend why it is in that category and why it does not fit weizenbock or Dunkelweizen etc

Back