Which beer faucets do you prefer and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which brand faucet do you recommend/prefer?

• All Perlicks, all day!

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Intertap are clearly better!

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • Neither, and I'll tell you why....

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Weighing pros and cons of the two main choices in beer faucets for homebrewers. Also would like to start a discussion of other brands, outliers, etc.

Voted intertap because that's what I just ordered.

I've been going back and forth about ordering Perlick, Intertap, flow control or not. In the end, I ordered flow control intertaps for less than non-flow-control perlicks.

Final decision was based in large part due to costs. I also watched a couple videos about intertap where they mentioned potentially coming out with an attachment to fill bottles where you would have a co2 hookup on it. Finally, it just seemed it might be a little easier to clean since the end screws off.

I did kind of want the spring to auto-close the taps, but figured the flow control would be a good compromise, if I actually use it!.

In the end, I think I'd be satisfied with whatever I end up with.

Last edited:
I have never used any faucets, but I just ordered some Intertap flow control faucets, so they must clearly be better....right? I refrained from voting as I have no idea what I am talking about.

I have six intertap faucets, three with flow control, and have nothing to complain about. I'm sure perlick is just as good.

I have perlicks now and gave reasons why I made a decision to hopefully add to the conversation. Next time I'll try smart alec comments. Maybe that'll be more helpful. :yes:

Perlicks might be better but I'll never know, because for a third the price I have three intertaps that have always worked perfectly. I just (this afternoon) cleaned one for the first time (after about three years) because it had stopped self-closing. A quick rinse out and it's perfect again.

Neither...Side pull faucets have much more appeal. Although this question is damn near 100% personal preference as most people will say what they use is the best due to confirmation bias. Which is why I said side pull. Although, on the other side of my Bitburger tower is an Intertap flow control that is equally as good, but doesn't look as cool as my side pull. Prior to the Intertap, I had a Perlick flow control that was equally as good, but I wanted to see if there was a difference, so I got an Intertap, and they pour the same.
5ffab42d0d979ad3f86632bd154917dd.jpg

Neither...Side pull faucets have much more appeal. Although this question is damn near 100% personal preference as most people will say what they use is the best due to confirmation bias. Which is why I said side pull. Although, on the other side of my Bitburger tower is an Intertap flow control that is equally as good, but doesn't look as cool as my side pull. Prior to the Intertap, I had a Perlick flow control that was equally as good, but I wanted to see if there was a difference, so I got an Intertap, and they pour the same.View attachment 641020
Beautiful setup you've got there, I really like the German / Czech theme and that Bitburger tower is sweet. Who makes those side-pull faucets? Are they compatible with standard shanks, etc?

Ha! That was in response to someone else. Thanks for your helpfulness though.

Hey arsenic. I've been following the thread and just read this, so I went back to try and see what might have been the catalyst for this. After rereading the whole thread, I'm thinking that it must have been my comment.

I have never used any faucets, but I just ordered some Intertap flow control faucets, so they must clearly be better....right? I refrained from voting as I have no idea what I am talking about.

I can see where what I said may have seemed like I was making light of your initial comment. That is not the case. I literally have never used faucets before, but I have my first set of Intertaps being shipped right now. They should be here on Tuesday. I was trying to lightheartedly respond to the OP while also letting him know not to choose anything based on my decision as I am brand new to the game. I'm sorry and apologize if it seemed my post was for any other reason.

I have both the Perlick's have a heavier construction and feel better overall however I really like how my Intertaps pour. You are not going to go wrong with either. If I could only choose 1 I would keep my Perlick's but there is nothing wrong with the Intertaps at all it's just preference. I also really like having the flow control option it's great for filling bottles fwiw.

$52 for the Perlick adjustable flow is almost the same cost as Intertap adjustable flow

https://www.amazon.com/Perlick-Fauc...+flow+control&qid=1566574729&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Intertaps.

I swapped out my Perlicks for Intertaps and haven't looked back. I'm a big fan of being able to swap out the faucet ends on the Intertaps. I've got the growler filler, stout and ball lock ends for mine and I use them all. Cleaning the kegerator is especially nice with the ball lock ends, just hook my cleaning pump up to the faucets and run the system in reverse to clean. My Perlicks are now living on my jockey box but I'm toying with the idea of going Intertap there as well simply for ease of cleaning.

I have both the Perlick's have a heavier construction and feel better overall however I really like how my Intertaps pour. You are not going to go wrong with either. If I could only choose 1 I would keep my Perlick's but there is nothing wrong with the Intertaps at all it's just preference. I also really like having the flow control option it's great for filling bottles fwiw.

$52 for the Perlick adjustable flow is almost the same cost as Intertap adjustable flow

https://www.amazon.com/Perlick-Fauc...+flow+control&qid=1566574729&s=gateway&sr=8-6

Both the intertaps and perlick flow controls are cheaper at ritebrew. $38 and $50 respectively
http://www.ritebrew.com/category-s/1909.htm

I loved my 1st gen Shirron Ventmatic faucets, which I think the Intertap design is based on. But, you can't get replacement parts for them anymore, and after about 13 years I've had to retire them for a set of Intertaps.

Intertaps.

I swapped out my Perlicks for Intertaps and haven't looked back. I'm a big fan of being able to swap out the faucet ends on the Intertaps. I've got the growler filler, stout and ball lock ends for mine and I use them all.

Same. I still have a single Perlick and some rear sealed on my jokey boxes, but I'm the most happy with the Intertaps.

Got my flow control intertap and it's been good...
Never owned a perlick but would consider it if a sale happened...

Intertaps.

I swapped out my Perlicks for Intertaps and haven't looked back. I'm a big fan of being able to swap out the faucet ends on the Intertaps. I've got the growler filler, stout and ball lock ends for mine and I use them all. Cleaning the kegerator is especially nice with the ball lock ends, just hook my cleaning pump up to the faucets and run the system in reverse to clean. My Perlicks are now living on my jockey box but I'm toying with the idea of going Intertap there as well simply for ease of cleaning.

Glad to hear that! I just installed four SS Intertaps on my new tower on the dining room bar. Non-FC because I needed the auto-closing springs. I'm terrified of my cat jumping up on the bar and pouring a whole 5 gallon keg of beer or coffee. I had to cut the springs down a bit to get the feel I wanted. I got the growler filler nozzle and the Stout Spout (for nitro coffee) but I wish I'd remembered to order the ball lock ends for cleaning. Looks like that will be on my next order.

I haven't even poured anything from them yet, but I'm already so excited I want to order two more for my jockey box just because.

Can anyone comment on whether the flow control lever on either brand closes off the flow completely? That would seem even more foolproof than a self-closing spring to prevent spillage if the lever gets bumped accidentally.

Can anyone comment on whether the flow control lever on either brand closes off the flow completely? That would seem even more foolproof than a self-closing spring to prevent spillage if the lever gets bumped accidentally.
Mine (Intertap) aren't closing completely.

I voted InterTap. Full disclosure, they are the only three taps I've owned. They have been in service since May of this year so they are new still.

I posted this in another thread earlier today:

>>I've decided to start my keezer build with one each Perlick and Intertap non-FC faucets and will run them side-by-side with self-closing springs installed. In a few months when I'm ready to add two more faucets, I'll choose the brand based on my experiences with these first two, and likely change out one of the originals in order to have all 4 the same. I will report back with my impressions.

I have four Intertap FC faucets and none of them completely close. I put valves on each one of my beer lines to help ensure my Five year old doesn't unload 20 gallons of beer inside of the house.

I'm looking at keg land's flow control ball lock disconnects since they claim less foam than FC at the faucet (something about more head pressure producing less turbulence) so I can tweak flow once when I tap a keg and not bother with it any further. Anyone experienced with these??

Apologies didnt have time for why. So why the picnic tap. Well after innocently using both for extended periods of time, years, I was leaning towards it anyways. Then I saw it in karnowskis book and was like aha. This is what I was looking for. 2 foot line with picnic tap. Simple, easy, sanitary. I highly recommend those covers as that was the ultimate downfall in the hot garage. Saw what you are all looking at on Amazon and I liked a good solid ss faucet. Something like this. I see recommendations for long lines and such but my experience led me right to what the book said. Ymmv.
Screenshot_20190827-233727.jpeg

Neither...Side pull faucets have much more appeal. Although this question is damn near 100% personal preference as most people will say what they use is the best due to confirmation bias. Which is why I said side pull. Although, on the other side of my Bitburger tower is an Intertap flow control that is equally as good, but doesn't look as cool as my side pull. Prior to the Intertap, I had a Perlick flow control that was equally as good, but I wanted to see if there was a difference, so I got an Intertap, and they pour the same.View attachment 641020

Man that Pilsner Urquell tap is a Beauty.

Mine are kinda a hybrid...found them on Albia (Chinese ebay)

1. they look like Intertaps on the outside
2. they have the removable, cleanable nozzles like Intertaps, and I can swap my bottle filler attachment onto it in a jiffy
3. they are like Perlicks on the inside (forward sealing but they don't have the shuttle thing inside). simple, not complex
4. they have a spring inside the shank that forces the faucet closed, no more faucet accidents

Mine are kinda a hybrid...found them on Albia (Chinese ebay)

1. they look like Intertaps on the outside
2. they have the removable, cleanable nozzles like Intertaps, and I can swap my bottle filler attachment onto it in a jiffy
3. they are like Perlicks on the inside (forward sealing but they don't have the shuttle thing inside). simple, not complex
4. they have a spring inside the shank that forces the faucet closed, no more faucet accidents
Sounds like you've got yourself a unicorn faucet!

Back