Which beer faucets do you prefer and why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which brand faucet do you recommend/prefer?

• All Perlicks, all day!

Votes: 30 39.5%
  • Intertap are clearly better!

Votes: 37 48.7%
  • Neither, and I'll tell you why....

Votes: 9 11.8%

• Total voters
Perlick because that's what I have.

If I build something else and need taps or my Perlicks stop Perlicking I may look into Intertaps just from the positive posts in this thread. And I'm cheap. Mostly I'm cheap.

Perlick because that's what I have.

If I build something else and need taps or my Perlicks stop Perlicking I may look into Intertaps just from the positive posts in this thread. And I'm cheap. Mostly I'm cheap.
Cant beat the price of picnic taps. If you are building a keezer, just put the taps in the keezer.

Have two Perlick 650 FC that work excellent. Once Brewhardware gets back in stock the Intertap FC, I'll be adding one to my keezer.

Fwiw... i had Perlick flow control on my original first (aka- cheap web buy) kegerator. I sold that to a buddy and gave him the perlick fc with it.
I then purchased the (at the time new) intertap faucets. They seemed great- cheaper, stainless, and interchangeable ends.
I returned them and went with classic perlicks. I think the perlicks are heavier, feel smoother, and feel more complete.
Once i ran a keg of root beer for my nephew (don't ever do this!) And had to change all the rubber rings. Easy but it allowed me to see the faucet from the inside.
The Intertap is a good faucet and either is angood choice.

Here's my 0.02 on flow control- the best investment i made was a 4-way secondary regulator. Eliminates the need for a fc faucet all together. Changed my beer game!

I have never owned Perlicks, but I have a new tap tower with non-FC Intertaps with the self-closing spring. I love them. I am running them with flow control ball-lock disconnects.
I really like the removable nozzle (I also got the growler barb nozzle).
I also have an intertap FC for a traveling party coolerator and it works pretty well too, but I'm glad I went with non-FC on my kegerator.

For flow control faucets, Perlick is the winner (I own both Perlick and Intertap). The intertap FC isn't as smooth and pours much more foam when restricting the flow much. I never use the FC mechanism on the intertap because of this. For standard faucets, I may lean towards the intertap for the ball lock connector capability.

I agree with @cheesebach on the comparison in FC faucets. I don't use FC anymore though. For a time I thought the design of the non-FC Intertap made sense, and it may indeed give a more positive seal, but I've ultimately decided I just like the smooth, easy action and the superior (IMO) pour of Perlick. Worth a few extra bucks.

I have secondary regs for each keg. I dial each one in for what is in the keg. I usually try to have a stout/porter on one, an IPA and then something lighter or seasonal

Generic, non-forward sealing, chrome plated beer faucets. Cheap, simple, easy to clean. Pull handle, beer comes out. I’m not about the bling.
I can't imagine many are in your camp. These things are garbage, sticking and leaking. Maybe they'll do for a keg consumed in a day at a party or other event, but not for one on tap for a few weeks or more. And I wouldn't use anything but stainless; even the Perlick 525PC that I bought when I first started brewing but didn't realize otherwise, that was sold as SS, was total junk and had to be retired after 2-3 years.

I've had several SS Perlicks, 525 & 630, and then bought 2 Intertaps 3 years ago on sale for $26 apiece. I'd say the performance of all is fairly comparable, but I prefer the Intertaps for the versatility with the removable nozzle and much lower cost. All are stainless non-FC.

I can't imagine many are in your camp. These things are garbage, sticking and leaking. Maybe they'll do for a keg consumed in a day at a party or other event, but not for one on tap for a few weeks or more. And I wouldn't use anything but stainless; even the Perlick 525PC that I bought when I first started brewing but didn't realize otherwise, that was sold as SS, was total junk and had to be retired after 2-3 years.

I've had several SS Perlicks, 525 & 630, and then bought 2 Intertaps 3 years ago on sale for $26 apiece. I'd say the performance of all is fairly comparable, but I prefer the Intertaps for the versatility with the removable nozzle and much lower cost. All are stainless non-FC.

I’m a tool user, not a tool snob. I’ve been using the same faucets since I put my kegerator together 6 years ago. They don’t stick, they don’t leak, and they’re easy to clean and maintain. You simply have to be smarter than what you’re working with to use them. :cool:

Sorry you interpreted my response as that of a tool snob. I'm glad you've had such luck with them. I guess not all of us are as smart as a chrome-plated piece of brass.

I used to use Perlicks, and had a leak issue. They were the non flow control. it is because the ball does not press against the o ring with uniform pressure because it is moving in a pivoting motion. The Intertaps I have now make uniform pressure. Perlicks, have to change the o ring every once in a while, Intertaps should last longer. Both are very good though.

I used to use Perlicks, and had a leak issue. They were the non flow control. it is because the ball does not press against the o ring with uniform pressure because it is moving in a pivoting motion. The Intertaps I have now make uniform pressure. Perlicks, have to change the o ring every once in a while, Intertaps should last longer. Both are very good though.
I had that problem with Perlick knockoffs, but not real ones. Perlick is way easier to clean (can CIP.)

I had that problem with Perlick knockoffs, but not real ones. Perlick is way easier to clean (can CIP.)

Mine were real Perlicks, I bet I had gotten them from morebeer. The cost of a oring is cheap. I went with Intertaps because I am going from a 3 tap system to a 6. Otherwise I would have just got an oring. One thing I do like about Perlicks better is that the inside of the spout is smoother.

Intertap... Only because they are what I have! No issues with them in 3 years, and have no experience with others.

I know some people had problems, but my Perlick 525SS taps have been in continuous use for 9 years without issues.

Still using original O rings as well. I clean lines and taps pretty regularly and use keg lubricant before reassembly.

Heard good things about both. Forward sealing is great.

I have little kids so I got the Perlick flow control so I could turn them off and hopefully avoid beer spills by their curious hands. They've worked fine thus far. I ended up adding another tap for my wife's sparkling water and got Intertap non-flow control because it didn't feel like spending as much money. That's also had no issues.

I have the cheapie chrome plated taps.
have had them for about 4 - 1 yr because I keep expanding.
I put poppet springs in the ones without springs so they are self closing.

only time they stick is if I let them sit for a few weeks hooked up and unused which is almost never since I realized I need to just take them apart and let them soak when I go on vacation.

maybe i'll upgrade them if they ever start to fail but so far haven't had any leaks either.
maybe that's because I take them apart and clean them every few months and use keg lube on the seals and moving parts?

I have the cheapie chrome plated taps.
have had them for about 4 - 1 yr because I keep expanding.
I put poppet springs in the ones without springs so they are self closing.

only time they stick is if I let them sit for a few weeks hooked up and unused which is almost never since I realized I need to just take them apart and let them soak when I go on vacation.

maybe i'll upgrade them if they ever start to fail but so far haven't had any leaks either.
maybe that's because I take them apart and clean them every few months and use keg lube on the seals and moving parts?

I have basic chrome taps as well I never looked into using springs to help close them, mine also stick if not used every week or so

I have have a three keg keezer and undoubtedly there’s always one beer I prefer so the other two sit for weeks to possibly several months

So just an update, I've been running one Perlick and two Intertaps (with springs) for a few months now, and I have to say I prefer the Intertaps. I had a leak with the Perlick, losing the last two gallons of a nice Saison. It was a slow drip overnight and thank God I didn't have the gas line attached or I would have also lost 20lbs of CO2. I have tested the Intertap spring in the Perlick, and though it worked just fine the constant pressure on that floating seal concerned me. In fact, I suspect trying out the spring for one keg of beer might have deformed or damaged the oring eventually causing it to leak on the following keg.

Today I'm ordering the fourth and final faucet for my keezer and for some reason I find myself on the fence all over again. The Intertaps have performed flawlessly and are easy to disassemble and clean, I just like the Perlick design so much. Plus, my keezer will look better with two of each rather than having one oddball, and so I'm considering ordering another Perlick and installing shortened Intertap springs in both of them to reduce the spring force and hopefully prevent future leaks.

I'm sitting here imagining how I'm going to feel a month or two down the road when I lose a whole keg of beer and the rest of my CO2 with the Perlick that I knew not to trust. Aaaarrrghhh. What was I thinking??

Fuggit, I'm ordering the Intertap.

Sorry Perlick, but you really need to supply closing springs specifically designed for your faucets.

I'm sitting here imagining how I'm going to feel a month or two down the road when I lose a whole keg of beer and the rest of my CO2 with the Perlick that I knew not to trust. Aaaarrrghhh. What was I thinking??

Fuggit, I'm ordering the Intertap.

Sorry Perlick, but you really need to supply closing springs specifically designed for your faucets.
You need to make a clean break! Get rid of the Perlicks all together! Don't look back!
I will PM you my address and help you along this quest. Throw 'em in a $12 flat rate USPS box and send 'em my may! I will pay shipping!

I for sure am OCD enough I would only ever want 1 brand/type of faucet for my 4 taps. I have the new style Perlick (non flow-control) and no springs. I have had zero issues ever. But I have heard about them for sure.
I did a keg of root beer once for my nephews, and had to replace ALL the interior gaskets. I bought spares, too.
I did try the Intertaps when they first came out- as I really thought the idea of interchangeable parts was cool. I took them back- I just did not like the feel compared to my Perlick. Also, The idea of a groove inside worries me- I know it is on the pour side, and cannot affect the keg of beer or really anything at all... but I don't know. Seems like an extra space for bad things to hide.

However- I would suggest someone here review the below- 2nd generation Intertaps! Very close to Perlick pricing though.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/nukatap-beer-faucet-stainless-steel.html?ref=1A

I've only ever had Intertap faucets and have no complaints. I put the springs in just because my kids need to negotiate a small space between the kegerator and my car to get to the 2nd fridge where extra juice is kept. They're old enough that they would close the tap if accidentally opened (maybe), and hopefully let me know if something happened..but ya know. One less thing to worry about..

Today I'm ordering the fourth and final faucet for my keezer and for some reason I find myself on the fence all over again. The Intertaps have performed flawlessly and are easy to disassemble and clean, I just like the Perlick design so much. Plus, my keezer will look better with two of each rather than having one oddball, and so I'm considering ordering another Perlick and installing shortened Intertap springs in both of them to reduce the spring force and hopefully prevent future leaks.

If you decide you want to go with Perlicks, I have 1 630ss to go along with my 5 intertaps. I'd be happy to trade with you.

I've only ever had Intertap faucets and have no complaints. I put the springs in just because my kids need to negotiate a small space between the kegerator and my car to get to the 2nd fridge where extra juice is kept. They're old enough that they would close the tap if accidentally opened (maybe), and hopefully let me know if something happened..but ya know. One less thing to worry about..
"Extra juice" haha, when I was a kid I'd have stopped right at the keezer for a quick pull!

You need to make a clean break! Get rid of the Perlicks all together! Don't look back!
I will PM you my address and help you along this quest. Throw 'em in a $12 flat rate USPS box and send 'em my may! I will pay shipping!

I for sure am OCD enough I would only ever want 1 brand/type of faucet for my 4 taps. I have the new style Perlick (non flow-control) and no springs. I have had zero issues ever. But I have heard about them for sure.
I did a keg of root beer once for my nephews, and had to replace ALL the interior gaskets. I bought spares, too.
I did try the Intertaps when they first came out- as I really thought the idea of interchangeable parts was cool. I took them back- I just did not like the feel compared to my Perlick. Also, The idea of a groove inside worries me- I know it is on the pour side, and cannot affect the keg of beer or really anything at all... but I don't know. Seems like an extra space for bad things to hide.

However- I would suggest someone here review the below- 2nd generation Intertaps! Very close to Perlick pricing though.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/nukatap-beer-faucet-stainless-steel.html?ref=1A
Speaking as someone who is aesthetically trained I can say with some authority that the Nukatap is a hideous design, and don't get me started on that matte black option. I'd hide those inside the keezer like picnic taps.

Speaking as someone who is aesthetically trained I can say with some authority that the Nukatap is a hideous design, and don't get me started on that matte black option. I'd hide those inside the keezer like picnic taps.

I don't know......The black option does look kinda cool to me.

I have the Intertaps. I have had the Perlicks (525 and the 425) as well as the typical rear sealing cheapos.

I don't think the Intertaps are as smooth as the Perlicks. The 425 was probably my favorite of what I've had. I loved the ability to unscrew the tip for a growler and cleaning attachment. The 525s didn't have that option, so that was a key issue of me switching to the Intertaps.

Had I found a couple more of the 425s, I'd probably stayed with Perlick. It seems the Nukataps are supposed to be an even better version of the Intertaps with the ability to use the same attachments but have a smoother feel when pulling a tap. I'm more than happy with my Intertaps to not switch again.

fwiw, I've been running the Intertap springs on my six 525SS faucets since the springs were made available at retail. Highly recommended.
Also, I've never had any issue with any of my Perls in well over a decade of use.
That all said, I can see the attractiveness of the Intertap faucet system with all the interesting and occasionally useful attachments.
Now, if they could just fit a faucet lock to 'em ;)

Cheers!

fwiw, I've been running the Intertap springs on my six 525SS faucets since the springs were made available at retail. Highly recommended.
Also, I've never had any issue with any of my Perls in well over a decade of use.
That all said, I can see the attractiveness of the Intertap faucet system with all the interesting and occasionally useful attachments.
Now, if they could just fit a faucet lock to 'em ;)

Cheers!

So I've been following this thread due to leakage issues with my Perlick 630 FC taps. Got four of them, as well as two non-FC Perlicks. I've been using them for 5 or 6 years, mostly worry-free until the last few months when I started getting some leakage.

I'd tried the keg-mounted flow control quick disconnects but never could get a good flow dialed in. I finally ordered a Nukatap to see what the hype was all about, but haven't yet received it. I also ordered two Perlick rebuild kits from Kegworks that arrived yesterday, but they sent the wrong kit. To their credit they're making it right, no questions asked.

So in my thirst, I decided to disassemble one of the taps to inspect the inner workings. Keeping all the little parts straight for reassembly turned out to be more involved than I planned, but the job got done eventually. What surprised me most was how much accumulated gunk there was. I clean my lines regularly through the taps, but what I found was gross. After rinsing and soaking in PBW for an hour, everything was shiny and clean. All the parts looked good including the seals and gaskets. I was slow and meticulous with the reassembly, which was more difficult than I'd thought it would be. My hope was that my faucet issues would be cured with this thorough cleaning.

Sad to say there was still some minor leakage after drawing a glass, but seems less than before, so for now I'll just have to wait for the proper replacement parts to arrive. At least the teardown and rebuild will be easier now that I know how to do it.

I also think I've identified where the leak may be occurring. It's either the front seal 'doughnut' gasket or one (or both) small barrel gaskets on the compensator plunger.

Crazy as it sounds, it could possibly be the TAPHANDLE! A while back I rotated my tap handles with some big honkin' heavy duty brewery handles about 14" long with plenty of heft. Since these Perlicks don't have positive return springs, I'm wondering if just the mass and leverage of the handle might be preventing the flow shut-off ball from staying in place firmly at the front seal? Looking back, I don't remember having this issue before I put the brewery tap handles on the faucets. If I've still got leakage after a complete rebuild I'll probably be looking to replace with something that has a positive spring return, but I really like the looks and feel of the Perlick faucets.

Does anyone know if the Intertap FC faucets have return springs?

Brooo Brother

... I'm wondering if just the mass and leverage of the handle might be preventing the flow shut-off ball from staying in place firmly at the front seal?

Brooo Brother
Thanks for this informative post, Bro. Please report on the outcome of the Perlick rebuild.

There are some online videos that might help with assembly. This is one:

I also added some tall/hefty handles to my Perlick 650SS's. One had a leaking event - rather a mess! Tightening the collar seemed to resolve the issue. I hadn't noticed that it was looser than the other three - just installed them without checking, and they all sealed fine initially.

Cheers.

Critically important to have the "Perl" line up properly with the spout O-ring. It is easy to mis-adjust the faucet lever arm such that the "Perl" is too high or too low to hit the O-ring perfectly. This alignment can be visualized through the spout...

Cheers!

Last edited:
Critically important to have the "Perl" line up properly with the spout O-ring. It is easy to mis-adjust the faucet lever arm such that the "Perl" is too high or too low to hit the O-ring perfectly. This alignment can be visualize through the spout...

Cheers!
THANK YOU @day_trippr for sharing that tip.
BTW, I'm ordering another Perlick. And two Intertap springs.

It was probably my fault it leaked; I did disassemble it and there was some hop residue in that beer. So long as I use closing springs I shouldn't have to worry about leaking.

THANK YOU @day_trippr for sharing that tip.
BTW, I'm ordering another Perlick. And two Intertap springs.

It was probably my fault it leaked; I did disassemble it and there was some hop residue in that beer. So long as I use closing springs I shouldn't have to worry about leaking.

I think it probably was the tap handles. The Perlicks are very finicky. Gotta close 'em up just right.
Also- FWIW- I am a little OCD when it comes to cleaning. I clean my lines a lot. When I do, I pull the faucets open and closed a few time (quickly!) while pumping cleaning solution (and later with rinse water) through them. I do this just for the reason you described- since I cannot see what is inside of them, I want to get as many little nooks and crannies as possible.

I think it is fair to say either of the forward-sealing brands will be much cleaner inside than a traditional rear closing faucets... so there is that.

Back